General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Balakirev's Music to ''King Lear''

Post by Lyle Neff »

With all the Balakirev music I've been contributing lately, I just remember that I have the full score for his incidental music to "King Lear", in the Soviet edition of 1969.

This seems to be just simply a new engraving, without any scholarly comparison to autographs, the 1st version, etc.. The only noticeable editorial contribution is a little 3-paragraph blurb at the beginning explaining the history of composition and performance. In the tiny-print colophon are listed the typical roles of "editor," "literary editor," "artistic editor," etc.

Since I've uploaded other similarly published Soviet editions from this time and later (coded V*/V*/V* on IMSLP), would it be okay for me to scan this whole thing and upload it?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I see no problem with your uploading that piece. The mere re-engraving of a work confers no copyright protection in either Canada or the USA. As I recall, either Zimmermann or Belaieff first published the work in the early 1900s, so we don't have the possible issue of first publication in play. We can even tag that one V/V/V instead of having the asterisks.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Carolus wrote:I see no problem with your uploading that piece. The mere re-engraving of a work confers no copyright protection in either Canada or the USA. As I recall, either Zimmermann or Belaieff first published the work in the early 1900s, so we don't have the possible issue of first publication in play. We can even tag that one V/V/V instead of having the asterisks.
Oh, yes, I forgot: the blurb at the beginning of the Soviet edition gives also the publication history.