Copyright Review - Neue Liszt Ausgabe (Funper)

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Copyright Review - Neue Liszt Ausgabe (Funper)

Post by Peter »

http://imslp.org/wiki/Hungarian_Rhapsod ... C_Franz%29

The Neue Liszt Ausgabe, of which these files are (1972), do not fall in the Urtext category, because the publishing place, Budapest, is not in Germany.
Delete?

edit: http://www.imslp.org/wiki/Totentanz_%28 ... C_Franz%29
This file has the plate Z.8859, which resembles the above files closely.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I'm going to veer toward deletion for the following reasons:

1. While the edition is co-produced by Edition Musica and Barenreiter, it is "officially" published by Edition Musica, and published in Hungary.

2. I've looked at the Hungarian Copyright law. To be honest, it is very very vague (professional photos not protected by copyright??), and says *nothing* about editions (wow); but it grants full copyright to scientific research work. Links here:
http://www.wipo.int/clea/docs_new/en/hu/hu001en.html
http://www.wipo.int/clea/docs_new/en/hu/hu002en.html
Funper
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Funper »

If Neue Liszt-Ausgabe were published in Germany, would that change anything? Besides, fact: there are no plate numbers on those Hungarian Rhapsodies, there is no sign of a publisher.. so we cant be 100% sure that it is EMB.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

As for the items without plate number, EMB has a very distinctive engraving style which is quite recognizable by those familiar with such things (something which can't be said of all publishers, especially since the advent of computerized engraving). The publisher of record is definitely EMB. Baerenreiter was simply the western distribution agent - at least for the first 10-15 years. My Baerenreiter Katalog 13a - Gesamtausgaben, Musikdenkmäler, Nachschlagewerke from 1984 gives the Neue Liszt Ausgabe volumes an "AoE" (Ausgabe ohne Editionsnummer) prefix, which was reserved for items that were imported from another publisher.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Funper, I know you really like Liszt and would certainly want to see the critical edition on IMSLP, but unfortunately it does not seem possible :/ I'll have to remove that edition of the Hungarian Rhapsodies now... and yes I'd like to see them on IMSLP too, if it is possible, but unfortunately it doesn't seem possible now.
Funper
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Funper »

haha, i know it is neue liszt-ausgabe.. just messing with you :P
well, i used this site to access those rhapsodies. now i need to organize my liszt-collection, and then upload it on a private site so that i can access it on any computer. who knows, maybe there are some PD files which i can submit here...
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

BTW, Funper there are quite a few editions of Liszt which are free. Breitkopf issued a collected works edition from 1907-1936 in 39 volumes, which is free nearly everywhere. Peters issued 12 volumes of piano works edited by E. von Sauer in 1917 and 2 volumes of organ works edited by Karl Straube at about the same time.
Funper
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Funper »

wow really?! do you know where i could find them?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Hi Funper. Try looking on Ebay. You can also go to Abebooks and use the "advanced search" page. Search under Author = Liszt and Publisher = Peters and you'll likely churn up something. I don't yet know what editions have been scanned by CDSM - probably Breitkopf. There are also the Russian sites which seem to have some scanned Liszt scores.