General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Florent Schmitt

Post by Carolus »

This composer died in 1958, which means that he will not be PD in Canada until Jan. 1, 2009. All titles will need to be moved to the US server. Daphnis, please use the 1923 feature when adding Schmitt scores, since that will allow them to be earmarked to go to the US server. Also, anything published 1923 or later is off-limits. Fortunately, there are a fair number of works published before that date. :)
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

!! Can I go back after they've been submitted and edit this? I just submitted a bunch of scores and forgot to tag them as pre-1923. Terribly sorry for the inconvenience.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Hi Daphnis, Don't worry about what you've already posted. Feldmahler will probably take care of that. I can do some things as an admin, but I really don't know how to move the files from the Canadian (default) server to the one located in the US. You must be quite a Florent Schmitt fan. I'm quite fond of his music myself. Thanks for the wonderful collection you've posted!

The only other pitfall that you have to watch out for - since (like me) you seem to have an affinity for early-20th century composers who fall into bizarro-land when it comes to copyright status - are the death dates of authors whose text was set to music. Tristan Klingsor didn't die until 1966, which means that the Ravel Sheherazade is protected in Canada and the EU.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

You must be quite a Florent Schmitt fan. I'm quite fond of his music myself.I'm a big late 19th and early 20th centuries French music fan, and Schmitt naturally falls into that category. I'm currently in the process of going through my composers and picking out at least the piano PD scores amongst about 15 composers' complete works I have. I only wish I could post more works!

And I forgot to think about the authors of the text when submitting works :(
I'm glad you two guys are there to pick up after me, but I'll try to keep this to a minimum in the future :D
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Wow... that is indeed a pretty big collection ;) I'll move it to the US server tomorrow. By the way, it's a good idea to not tag {{File1923 until after I move them tomorrow because otherwise it is rather hard to get the URL of the file. If you would like to help me a bit Carolus, you can follow the instructions here:

http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Score_submi ... _US_server

Basically, you have to download all the files, upload them to that place on the US server, delete the local copy of the file on the wiki, and change the file template... and then I can do a simple command on the US server to move the files to the main directory.

Of course, if you are busy with other IMSLP stuff (or just real life stuff), you can leave it to me and I'll move it tomorrow :)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Done :)