General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Bartok concerto for orchestra piano reduction

Post by daphnis »

Bartok completed a piano reduction of his famous concerto for orchestra but it was engraved and published for the first time (if I'm not mistaken) in 2001 by B & H edited by György Sandor. I just want to confirm that this would in fact NOT be PD anywhere in the world, despite Bartok's works being PD in Canada?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Hmm, I've seen that reduction before :) It's the one that was originally supposed to be used at a ballet rehearsal right (apparently some New York dance company wanted to set the Concerto to ballet)?

If it is a reprint of the original Bartok autograph, then it is probably public domain in Canada (I need to check on this, but this is very likely). If you are referring to Sandor's completion of the Bartok reduction, then it is certainly not public domain. Though, the book I saw had both in it, so... :)
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by daphnis »

Yep this is the same score-it has the typeset version and the manuscript. I was pretty sure it wasn't in the PD anywhere but wanted to ask in case.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I just checked the Canadian Copyright Act. Apparently (and as I somewhat suspected), there is a special term (section 7(1)) for posthumous publications, which says that the copyright lasts first publication+50 for posthumous works. Unless the Bartok autograph has been published before, it would not be in the public domain if it was first published recently.