General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Khachaturian

Post by daphnis »

Khachaturian died in 1978 and his piano concerto was written c.1936 and published a year later (unless I'm mistaken). Because of the crazy Russian/Armenian copyright laws in relation to Canada and the US, what works including this piano concerto would be in PD?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I would elect no, because if that is in the public domain, then Shostakovich's 5th would be too (which was written around the same time, and Shostakovich died around the same time too), but very unfortunately it is not. However, my reservation is that there may be some interesting renewal issues as Carolus pointed out in the other thread, and so maybe it is public domain in the US? It is not public domain for sure in Canada.
goldberg988
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by goldberg988 »

The Khachaturian piano concerto (like a lot of Shostakovich's stuff) was once published by Kalmus. It's not in their catalogue any more, which makes me believe it is no longer PD in the US. (A shame, too, for it's a fantastic piece!)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

All Khachaturian was "restored" to copyright status by the GATT/TRIPs amendments. As it states in the "Wish List" section, all works are protected worldwide.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

I just now saw the notice under the Khachaturian section on the wish list...should have looked there earlier.

When will his works, or at least the piano concerto go into the public domain? And will it go into PD worldwide or one country/group before another?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

It will go PD at different times in different countries. As things stand now, it would enter the public domain on Jan. 1, 2029 in Canada, Japan, China, South Korea and the other life-plus-50 countries, which is the soonest apart from a few oddball countries where the term might be less. It will be protected until Jan. 1, 2079 in Mexico! (Life plus 100).