General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

PeterMusic
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

NonPD-US

Post by PeterMusic »

Hi All
When I try to access a NonPD-US file I am blocked, even though I am a Canadian.
Does NonPD-US apply to Canada?
The Help files are not clear on this point.
Peter Zanette
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: NonPD-US

Post by kalliwoda »

This should be an entry under TB in the help pages,

but if you look just a few topics back, you find answers in the forum, like here
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2196&p=11484#p11484
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: NonPD-US

Post by pml »

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

Even that post you linked to (by yours truly) isn't the whole story. First of all, Public Domain is a summation of the global state of affairs; the IMSLP is hosted in Canada, so in theory, only the status of works under Canadian copyright law should be germane. In practice however, there is no way to implement a system that accurately determines the location of the downloader (any technical means of doing so can be subverted), so the fact that you are located in Canada while the file is non-PD only in the US, is irrelevant to your ability to download it (File Blocked). Unfortunately we have to cover our (b)asses; even if we did only allow Canadians to access files marked non-PD US, any measure we contrived could easily be undermined to breach a US copyright.

Let's just say that while it would be nice if there wasn't this morass of legal issues, neither copyright laws nor national jurisdictions are likely to alter in a hurry. You can guess what sort of solution might be required to deal with the technical issues described on the "File Blocked" page.

Regards, Philip

@ any Forum administrators who might be reading this: might it be time to sticky a "What does [TB] mean?" post, eh?

(Why members of the copyright team don't have moderation rights on the copyright forum, I don't know... sigh...)
--
PML (talk)