SLUB

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Notenschreiber
active poster

SLUB

Post by Notenschreiber »

Is it possible to upload a new typesetted version of a manuscript of SLUB which is available at IMSLP ?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: SLUB

Post by vinteuil »

What do you mean by "is it possible?" Some possibilities:
1. You mean "Is it legal." Yes
2. You mean "would IMSLP take such a submission?" Yes
3. You mean "is it technically possible" Yes
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

I meant 1. and 2. depending on 1. Thank you for the answer.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

See my talk page - as Hobbypianist has brought up the point that we may have an editio princeps issue in play for at least some of these manuscripts with respect to their status in the EU. I will have to do some research on the subject. As far as their status in the USA - no problem unless someone first published the item between 1923 and 2002. In Canada, the bar for posthumous first publication of works whose author's term has already expired (dead over 50 years) is pretty high: if the work was publicly performed or recorded in the composer's lifetime it counts as being published. There's an EU standard for editio princeps, and different EU countries have qualifications also.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

There is a list of copyrighted works by editio princeps in germany, see http://www.vg-musikedition.de/. Is this list exhaustive?
I think the sense of copyright by editio princeps is to protect the work of the editor of an unpublished work and not to protect the
owners of manuscripts.