General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Clarification of first published copyrights on page

Post by daphnis »

Would it be possible to better illustrate/explain first publication copyright by specifically giving a scenario such as even if a composer died more than 50 (or 70) years ago but the piece was first published less than 50 years ago it is still under copyright. After re-reading the explanation page on public domain I still feel this is too unclear.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

OK, a couple of very good examples are the Ravel pieces that were published for the first time in the mid-1970s. Even though Ravel died in late 1937, and all works published in his lifetime enter the public domain in the EU on Jan. 1 of next year [they entered the Canadian PD on 1/1/1988], those particular works are entitled to a 50-year term from date of publication under Canadian law, with different terms in various EU countries.

Under US law, any work published before 1978 is protected for 95 years, while those published from 1978 to 2007 are protected until 1/1/2048. An unknown, unpublished Ravel work will be public domain as of 1/1/2008 in the USA, but the edition would be protected for the editor's life plus 70 years when published. In the EU, thanks to a legal precept called editio princeps, an undiscovered Ravel piece published after Jan. 1 of next year would be protected for at least 25 years after publication.
Last edited by Carolus on Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Yes, quite. What I meant was if a clarification of this sort could be included on the public domain page here: http://imslp.org/wiki/Public_domain.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

OK, thanks for the pointer. I see that this page could use some clarification!