General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Holst: Planets for solo piano?

Post by daphnis »

Does anyone know of a complete arrangement of Holst's Planets for solo piano, much less one in PD?
pocoallegro
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Holst: Planets for solo piano?

Post by pocoallegro »

daphnis wrote:Does anyone know of a complete arrangement of Holst's Planets for solo piano, much less one in PD?
I'm pretty sure there is one for 2 pianos (recently recorded on Naxos), but I don't know of one for solo.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

The original version was in fact for 2 pianos, but it was published less than 50 years ago so therefore not public domain in Canada.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Sorry, but I think I may be in error. As far as I can tell, the version for 2 pianos was issued in separate movements from 1949-51 and later compiled into one volume in 1979, although with no mention of an editor. I think that this may be public domain in Canada, although I would bow to the scholarship of our friend Carolus to see what he says about this.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Issuing the piece as a complete whole in 1979 doesn't constitute first publication if the work was issued piecemeal from 1949-51. Publication of the 2-piano arrangement was complete by 1951, which is more than 50 years ago.

If you can prove publication from 1949-51, it's public domain in Canada and thus free to post on IMSLP. Make sure that it's uploaded to the (regular) Canadian server, that's all. The 1951 publication is still protected in the US - I'm pretty sure Imogen renewed it, too.