Museo internazionale e biblioteca della musica di Bologna

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Boccaccio
forum adept

Museo internazionale e biblioteca della musica di Bologna

Post by Boccaccio »

I just wanted to download some more scores from the Bologna libary and upload them on IMSLP. Unfortunately, I had to notice that they now put some library water mark on the middle of each file. Apart from not looking nicely, I fear that this also puts copyright problems, because the water mark contains the library logo.
Are there any chances to get rid of the logos? Is anybody able to contact the library and ask what is going on there (I don't speak italian nor do I have a concrete email address responsible for the digitalization there)?
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Re: Museo internazionale e biblioteca della musica di Bologn

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

It would be helpful if you could provide some links, so that we can see for ourselves what we are talking about.
Boccaccio
forum adept

Post by Boccaccio »

Oh sure, sorry my fault. So here comes a link to Monteverdi's first book of madrigals, that we have in the nonmarked version at IMSLP:
http://badigit.comune.bologna.it/cmbm/i ... 91_001.asp
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

From a quick glance I'd suppose that reducing the images from grayscale to monochrome (b/w), possibly after some upsampling to get smoother edges, would be the best solution. The resulting files should be easier to print, smaller in terms of file size (if properly compressed), and also watermark-free (by thresholding at a slightly darker value than the watermark itself). It should be possible to batch-process the images with a tool like GraphicsMagick.

If you still need me to contact the library on your behalf, let me know.
carmar1791
active poster

Post by carmar1791 »

For what I know in Italy all libraries are trieing to to establish their own laws, and they think those should be State laws.
In other words they want to put rights on images.
They should do a work of pubblic utility, but they prefer to protect private scan societies that sell you thoose copies.( hidden interests??' :?: :D :?: :D ).I don't know.
What I can witness is the ignorance of many general managers of libraries.(I don't know if it's really ignorance about copirigths or if it's convenience).
I suggest you to get rid of watermarks so that they can't say it's their images (it's very easy to clean images in your link), and in general pay attention to manuscripts that are unic items.
In Italy there is a lot of confusion about what you can do with your copies of p.d. books :if you ask generally all people answer it's for personal use only.
When theese scans society sell you a copy usally they want you sign a contract for personal use only ,to avoid diffusion .....if you make copies.... they don't get money..
But it's not clear if you can lend to friends and what happen if they do a copy.....
Once speaking to a general manager I understood he was convinced that images online of his library (all pd music) could not be downloaded legally only because they put a look on software to avoid download (for people don't use explorer that look does not exist :D :D :D :D ).
But I think it's so not only in Italy:
Weeks ago I dowloaded a book from Gallica (France).I had to sign an electronic document that I will not use that book for commercial purpuse...

What I can say is that I have understood imslp is very annoying for many societies and libraries...........