General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

archiescat
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Rachmaninov Solo Piano Transcriptions

Post by archiescat »

Hey

In 1973, Belwin Mills, N.Y. produced a centenary edition of the Rachmaninov solo piano transcriptions, however earlier different copyrights appear at the foot of the pieces. Here are some I think could be uploaded to IMSLP however I am unsure. Is there still copyright if the original composer's life +50 is not up yet but there is a very clear new copyright in a transcription?

Liebesleid by Kriesler (died 1962), transcr Rachmaninov (died 1943), Copyright 1923 renewed 1951.
Liebesfreud by Kreisler (died 1962) transcr Rachmaninov, Copyright 1926 renewed 1953.
Hopak by Mussorgsky (died 1881) transcr Rachmaninov Copyright1924, renewed 1952
Scherzo from Midsummer Night's Dream by Mendelssohn, transcr Rachmaninov, copyright 1933 renewed 1961

My guess is that the first two wait until 2011 and 2013 where it is life + 50 years and the Mussorgsky is OK but the Mendelssohn is 2011?

Thanks

Stuart
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

The only two items on your list that are uploadable to IMSLP are the Mendelssohn and Mussorgsky transcriptions, which should be uploaded to the regular Canadian server, NOT the USA server.

All of the works in your list are protected in the USA, but because Rachmaninov is free in Canada (where the copyright term is life-plus-50 years), the arrangements of the older PD composers are fine. Kreisler will not be free in Canada until 2013, and the only Kreisler works free in the USA are those published before 1923.
archiescat
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Copyrights renewed issue

Post by archiescat »

Thanks. So the renewed copyright of 1961 on the Mendelssohn does not count for anything? I thought it would be 50 years on that also. He did transcriptions of JS Bach and Tchaikovsky also so these renewed copyrights in the 1960s also do not count? What is the standing of a renewed copyright please?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

To be precise, "renewed copyright" usually refers to "renewed copyright in the US". There is no such thing as international "copyright renewal", and "copyright renewal" itself is only possible in countries that actually have such a thing. The US does, but Canada doesn't; meaning that there is no such thing as "copyright renewal" in Canada. Thus whether the copyright was renewed (in the US) is irrelevant :)