General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Borodin's symphonies, piano solo, Soviet edition

Post by Lyle Neff »

Please let me know whether any of the contents of the following score are eligible for IMSLP (last I checked, the piano-solo transcription of the 2nd symphony is uploaded already, in the original edition):
  • А. Бородин.
    Симфонии.
    Переложение для фортепиано
    Издательство "Музыка."
    Москва 1972.

A. Borodin.
    Symphonies.
    Arranged for piano.
    State publishers "Music."
    Moscow 1972.
There is no copyright notice.

From the colophon (in Russian, transliterated here):
"Redaktor": Iu. Olenev.
"Tekhn. redaktor": T. Sergeeva

Author of one-page preface (in Russian only): V. Kiselev

Of the first two symphonies, there is the following remark in English (p. 3, 1st page of Symphony No. 1):
The present edition of the First and Second Symphonies by Borodin is based on K. Chernov's arrangement, which is partially revised by the editor in order to ensure easier performance and better correspondence with the original score.
In addition, the preface says this (as I translate it): "The 2-hand piano arrangement by K.A. Titarenko of Symphony [No. 3] was first issued by Muzgiz in 1959."
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Borodin's symphonies, piano solo, Soviet edition

Post by Carolus »

It should be OK. There were very few NIEs filed for arrangements - chiefly the Shostakovich Mussorgsky orchestrations and Gorchakov's orchestration of Pictures. A slight revision of Chernov's arrangement isn't going to qualify anyway. Titarenko's arrangement is the only one that might be protected somewhere, but even that's questionable.