Rolla and Sitt : problem about copyrigth of some pices

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

carmar1791
active poster

Rolla and Sitt : problem about copyrigth of some pices

Post by carmar1791 »

Sorry for my english!
I have some doubts about copirights of some my uploads.
First of all Sitt.
I have foud parts in many libraries.Also elibron has in their catalog those pices so I think there is no problem with viola and piano version,but I know nothing about all orchestral parts.I foud nothing by template number(EE 844 and 1981).More or less by their condition that are 100 years old.Nothing in shott web site or others. Can you help me?
Rolla: Other questions:Duetti op10 e studi duetti op10 for two violins. I could find nothing about those litoff edition.I think they are not in printing and they are old enought but it's better to check again.Some helps?
More or less all the parts I scanned are more than 100 years old but I know that Amadeus verlag this year is pubblishing the op 18 vl-vla duets,peters is printing a duet of op 4(all new editions,not scanned edition or reprint). Are there some repercussions about legality of my scanned copy?
Manuscripts:The original manuscripts are in the same library(they are more or less 150 years old).It's a pubblic library, they give all to all people.You have only to wait.
But, may it be there ara legal problems if these manuscript stay in this site to?
Thank you for all and sorry for the trouble

That parts could be usefull for many musicians and should be free to use and easily tracking down.
Greetings
Last edited by carmar1791 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

Carmar, There is no copyright problem I can see with any of your posts of either Hans Sitt or Alessandro Rolla. IMSLP is governed by Canadian and (optionally) USA copyright law - hence the server being located in each country.

Hans Sitt died in 1922 and is public domain worldwide apart from any works first published after his death. Rolla died in 1841 and is likelwise public domain worldwide. Posthumously published works are protected for 50 years from earliest publication date in Canada.

For the USA, things are more complex: If a given work was first published between 1923 and 1963, it could be protected for 95 years from the publication date. If first published between 1964 and 1977, it is most likely protected for 95 years. If first published between 1978 and 2002, it will be protected until 1/1/2048. Since both Rolla and Sitt died more than 70 years ago, all works which were unpublished as of 1/1/2003 fell into the US public domain on that date - a new edition would be protected only as an edition, not under any Editio Princeps concept.

The two Sitt items you posted were published ca.1893 and 1900 by Eulenburg, so they don't qualify for protection of any kind. The only Rolla titles we (might) have some concern over would be those manuscripts that were first published elsewhere between 1982 and 2002. Even then, because Rolla died so long ago, there is some question of the validity of any claim of Editio Princeps under Canadian law because of the 25-year limitation on such terms in the few countries that use the Editio Princeps rubric.
carmar1791
active poster

Post by carmar1791 »

Thank you very much.
Greetings
carmar1791