General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Peterdyson49
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Wording of CCL attribution in scores

Post by Peterdyson49 »

I can’t sing the praises of IMSLP too loudly and whilst I can’t upload most of my collection of scores as they are still in copyright (and you already have those that in the public domain anyway!) I have been gradually adding my own under a creative commons license. I am not sure when the header on the composer pages changed “All works of this composer are still under copyright ….etc to include the last sentence “In such cases, it is necessary to put a copyright notice with the copyright type somewhere in the file( my emphasis) to prevent confusion”. In my scores I have included a personal copyright attribution on first page of notation. A random sampling of scores on non public domain composers’ pages seems to suggest others do the same.
What is IMSLP preferred best practice on this issue? Within the score file itself do you want us to put the Creative Commons attribution…. Or both?
What would be the preferred wording ?..... “Published on IMSLP under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial No Derivatives 3.0 License” © Copyright Year Name

Clarification please. I am happy to change and reload/replace my files.
Peter Dyson
KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Wording of CCL attribution in scores

Post by KGill »

There is not really a formal 'preferred wording', but something similar to what you suggested would doubtless suffice. 'Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial 3.0' (or whichever), possibly with a CC logo or link to their website - that should be enough. You could also put an actual copyright notice on it, along with the specific license (if you wish). In general, anything that makes it completely clear what restrictions the work is under is fine. I don't think it's necessary for you to change your own files, unless you really feel they need to be more specific.