General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Leo Ornstein at IMSLP!

Post by Carolus »

Mr. Severo Ornstein, the composer's son and copyright owner, has granted permission to post his father's works at IMSLP. Many are available for download at the composer website: http://LeoOrnstein.net

Posters are urged to use the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 designation for Ornstein works. Even though a number of early works were published before 1923 (and are thus public domain in the USA), Mr. Ornstein wishes to facilitate the worldwide distribution of his father's music. It's now OK to upload these works to IMSLP's regular server in Canada.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

This is great news!

It always feels great when the works of a modern composer (not to mention one as distinguished as Ornstein) are shared with the public. If anyone would like to take up the project of submitting all of Ornstein's works to IMSLP, please reply here :)
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Does this apply to any of his published works regardless of when they were published and by whom?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

It applies to absolutely everything over on the composer's site. There are only a few titles published after 1922 that may be unavailable. Mr. Ornstein has full control over everything available over at the site. He was most generous, and just wishes to see his father's music available.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

I was speaking more along the lines of things NOT specifically on the site. For example, what is covered if I wish to, oh, say, go on an Orenstein rampage and scan everything of his I could get my hands on that has even been published? What is off-limits in this regard?
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

Should we put the type as "New Composition?" If I do "Normal Scan" it says that scans must be PD instead of cc-by 3.0
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

ras1 wrote:Should we put the type as "New Composition?" If I do "Normal Scan" it says that scans must be PD instead of cc-by 3.0
Yep, it should be under "New Composition", as it is theoretically still copyrighted, even if under a permissive license. :)
daphnis wrote:I was speaking more along the lines of things NOT specifically on the site. For example, what is covered if I wish to, oh, say, go on an Orenstein rampage and scan everything of his I could get my hands on that has even been published? What is off-limits in this regard?
I'm under the impression that the works on the composer's site include all works that the composer's son has copyright control over. Which would mean that someone else has copyright control over works not on the site, and thus those works would still not be available under the CC-BY license. However, I would be happy to be proven wrong. Maybe Carolus can clarify this via another e-mail? :)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I suppose so. I was unaware of that the latest template didn't allow for CC license info when normal scans are added. You can always do it in edit mode after the initial upload as 'puiblic domain' also.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

If they're not on the Ornstein site, and published after 1922, I would refrain until one of us can ask Mr. Ornstein if he actually has the final say. If they're published 1922 or earlier (which means they're PD in the USA), he'll likely be glad to have a copy of the scan to make available hat the Ornstein site.
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

OK, I'm doing the chamber music (S6xx).
scottorr
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by scottorr »

I'll do the piano works. (S001 - S553)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Just a note that for anyone else interested in the Ornstein project, please read the following section regarding the publication field:

http://imslp.org/wiki/User_talk:Ras1#Or ... isher_Info

Also, it probably is a good idea to always put the S number in the page title. :)
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

What about pieces with both Opus and S numbers? Most of the works lack an Opus number, but I've been putting them in the title and the S numbers only under Catalog Number.

Would it be better to put the S number in the title and catalog number, and simply leave out Opus numbers when given?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

That would be fine :)
scottorr
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by scottorr »

Hm.. should we be going back and re-making pages that don't have S numbers in the title, while marking the others for deletion?

We can just copy and paste the content to the new page with S numbers in the title, right?