Very rare, old recorded Audio...

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

EstaJae
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Very rare, old recorded Audio...

Post by EstaJae »

I have audio CDs that I recorded myself with audio on them dating back to the 60's. They include some very rare classical performances.
I would like to donate them all to IMSLP however I am concerned about ther copywrite.
Some of them were recorded from the radio and others from television and some were purchased, what is the situation with the copywrite rules?
Esta.
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Very rare, old recorded Audio...

Post by steltz »

You will have to list the composers -- depending on the death dates, they might be under copyright. You will also have to list the performers -- depending on their death dates, they might be under copyright.

You will have to do this for each piece separately. There won't be one answer that will cover all of them.

For living composers or performers, provided they give permission, they could be uploaded provided everything else is in order. For deceased composers or performers, their estates, or whoever holds the copyright would have to give permission.

In order to be posted, all the people involved have to either fall under public domain, or give permission for their works to be uploaded.
bsteltz
audunsj
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Very rare, old recorded Audio...

Post by audunsj »

The composers must be PD but in Europe recordings normally become PD after 50 yrs. In the US however the case is different.