piano reduction and ornaments

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Notenschreiber
active poster

piano reduction and ornaments

Post by Notenschreiber »

There is an oboe concerto of C.PH.E. Bach at IMSLP, edited 1952 by R. Lauschmann, who died im 1989.
It contains a piano reduction of the concerto and two voices for the oboe, the original one and
one with ornaments. Lauschmann used to produce his editions in this way. Are there no copyright problems?
Last edited by Notenschreiber on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: piano reduction and ornaments

Post by Carolus »

Are you saying that Lauschmann added original ornamentation to this? From what I could find out about the publication history, it appeared that there was a piano reduction published earlier than Lauschmann. The credit for Lauschmann on the score (bearbeitet) would argue for the piano arrangement being by Lauschmann. If so, we might have to delete this as it really would not fall under our urtext guidelines. It is free in the USA, as there was no renewal and no NIE filed for the work. Thanks for bringing it up. I am re-tagging to block it for now just in case.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

The source of Lauschmann´s Edition is: Berliner Staatsbibliothek, P356. His edition should become a
first edition, but the word "first" is blackend on the cover page and in the preface.He writes in the preface:
"I have printed the original text of the solo part ... above an edited text, to which I have added ornaments
in the style of the periode." There are also cadenzas in the first and second movement from Lauschmann.
I am quite sure, that the piano reduction is from Lauschmann too.
Being a former pupil of Lauschmann, I have a lot of editions from him, but I think, unfortunately it is not
possible to upload these to IMSLP for copyright reasons.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

Now the oboe concert of Marcello in the edition of Lauschmann appeared at IMSLP. This is not legal
by the same reasons as mentioned above at least in Europe.