Caccini and copyright

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Beethoveneighth
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Caccini and copyright

Post by Beethoveneighth »

(Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before. I'm new here.)

I see that Caccini's Ave Maria is on this site. However, this piece was not written by Caccini (at least that's what it says in the Wikipedia article about Caccini's Ave Maria.)

According to the Wikipedia article, this piece was apparently written by a composer named Vladimir Vavilov around 1970. Wouldn't this mean it was still copyrighted?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

That's one interesting piece. Noone seems to be quite sure as to who actually wrote it... while it does say on Wikipedia that Vavilov was the composer, there is no link to any authentic scholarly writings that suggest this... and in fact Googling also does not produce any completely convincing results. People seem to mostly assume that Caccini wrote the piece (not surprising given the attribution), but there are also a fair group which claims Vavilov did, and some in between...

If anyone else have any comments please post... otherwise I might remove the file after a while.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by daphnis »

OP, did you check what Grove has to say about this? Wikipedia isn't a scholarly resource, therefore consider it with some dubiousness.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

daphnis wrote:OP, did you check what Grove has to say about this? Wikipedia isn't a scholarly resource, therefore consider it with some dubiousness.
Grove online has no "Ave Maria" listed among the Giuilo Caccini works, nor an article on Vavilov.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Looks like another possible case like the Giazotto "Albinoni" Adagio. The only Vavilov I can find in the Biographical Dictionary of Russian/Soviet Composers by Ho and Feofanov is for one Gennady Vavilov (b.1932). No mention of an "Ave Maria", either.
Beethoveneighth
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Beethoveneighth »

Oh, this is interesting.

Yes, I guess I should've tried to research this with a more reliable source than Wikipedia.

This piece is definitely not by Caccini though. It doesn't sound like it's from his time period at all, at least to me.