Full score into part score??

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

james20387
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Full score into part score??

Post by james20387 »

Hi, everyone. This is my first post in this forum. (Please forgive my poor English)
I would like to know is it legal or illegal to type legitimate full score into part scores for non-commercial reason?
Because I cannot find part scores of one piece of concerto after surfing the online stores. I can only buy legitimate full score on them.
(The piece is still under copyright)
Thank all of you!!
steltz
active poster

Re: Full score into part score??

Post by steltz »

If the piece is still under copyright, you would need permission from the copyright owner. If the copyright owner is a publishing company, you most probably won't get permission, because they earn money by renting out the parts, which would be the reason why they aren't available for sale.

What is the piece?
bsteltz
james20387

Post by james20387 »

concerto of Stravinsky

then I wonder why online stores sell full score only, not sell full score and part scores at the same time?
Isn't it convenient for online stores and music performer to buy full score and part scores at the same time?
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I think you may have misunderstood my post. The fact that publisher make more money from renting than from selling parts is precisely the reason why they want to offer score only and no parts -- it forces you to rent from them.

I'm not sure whether you are talking about the Piano Concerto or the Violin Concerto, but both are copyright worldwide. According to Luck's Music, the Piano Concerto material is rented out by Boosey & Hawkes. I would think the chance of your getting permission from them to typeset it would be nil. The Violin Concerto material is available from European American, which is a firm I've never heard of, so I don't know how you would get in touch with them.
bsteltz