General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

snowkilts
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Why blocked in CA and EU?

Post by snowkilts »

Hi,

I just noticed that some of the scores I have uploaded are now blocked from downloads in Canada and the EU. Can anyone tell me why this is and what I might be able to do about it?

Here's an example: http://imslp.org/wiki/The_Cave_of_Gold_%28Snow,_J.%29

Like the others I have uploaded, this score is my own setting of a traditional bagpipe tune. The tune is believed to be a 17th century composition, and therefore should be long since in the public domain. In the comments on the page I included composition information and links to older published settings. I uploaded my setting with the CC/SA 3.0 license.

Thanks,

-- Jon
steltz
active poster

Re: Why blocked in CA and EU?

Post by steltz »

I don't see any coding that would block it in that way -- files at IMSLP are either available for download (but they have to be legal to download in 2 of the 3 major areas we deal with, and if you are in the 3rd area, it is your responsibility to download only if it is legal for you), or they are blocked for everyone. So there is no way a file can be available only blocked for Canada and the EU.

I had no trouble downloading the link you gave, and the country I live in has the same copyright term as Canada.

What is the exact message?
bsteltz
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

No apparent downloading problem from EU either.

Max
snowkilts

Post by snowkilts »

I don't know if the scores were actually blocked or not, but earlier today at least two of my work pages had banners on the top of the page stating that the works could only be downloaded in the US.

I just checked and the banners are now gone. So all is well, I guess? Thanks for the responses.

Cheers,

-- Jon