Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Piupianissimo
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

My scans don't get copyright checked any more

Post by Piupianissimo »

Hi,
I wonder why my last uploaded scans seem to get no longer copyright checked. The oldest unchecked upload I did 9 days ago(!!!). As I can see many new uploads being checked every day, I can't understand why my scans don't.
Thanks in advance
steltz
active poster

Re: My scans don't get copyright checked any more

Post by steltz »

Carolus has been on holiday, so I would imagine it's just catch-up time from a temporary backlog. Your efforts are DEFINITElY appreciated (shouting caps meant!)!
bsteltz
NLewis
active poster

Post by NLewis »

Your efforts are so much appreciated, many thanks for contributing. Your scans have been a wonderful addition to this site from the start. Sadly, with Carolus on vacation and KGill working, copyright review is a very large workload. The "great WIMA tsunami" (to correctly quote Carolus) makes the backlog come out to more than 400 files daily. I will clear the files today, and your files will be unlocked. I'm sorry for the delay, but the inundation of files is just amazing.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Carolus is thankfully back now, so everything should be returning more or less to normal this week. I feel guilty as I'm supposed to be active, but didn't really get around do doing anything but writing a few messages over the weekend :oops: You can feel free to blame the later stages of the CR pileup on my laziness...
NLewis
active poster

Post by NLewis »

Actually, I should feel much more guilty. I'm supposed to be active, and I'm especially supposed to be active when it comes to CR. It makes no sense to head a CR project and then not do copyright review for several months.

You're off the hook on this one... If anyone is to blame, it's me.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

NLewis wrote:It makes no sense to head a CR project and then not do copyright review for several months.
But you were already largely inactive, so nobody was going to expect you to come back out of the blue and help with the CR backlog. I had (and have) been trying to make a comeback in activity...and then conveniently and silently dropped out for the worst few possible days. And anyway, there is quite a distinction between a writing-heavy project like the copyright information thing and doing regular CR work.
NLewis
active poster

Post by NLewis »

I may have been inactive, but I shouldn't have been inactive in the first place. I have a duty to this site as a CR and administrator. It's not just a title, it's a commitment.

A writing-heavy project may have put me in a position of leadership on the CR team, and suddenly dropping out of activity was certainly against people's expectations. I really should be doing regular CR work, and now that it is summer time where I am, I will continue to work in the same capacity as "Emery" once did. Although the CR Project might have to be on hold until the WIMA tsunami is finished

Pretty soon I'll have to work because of another possible collaboration effort I will disclose in the weeks to come.

And then there may be the marc format?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

NLewis wrote:I have a duty to this site as a CR and administrator. It's not just a title, it's a commitment.
While there is obviously nothing wrong with feeling a commitment to working for the site, you might want to review the perhaps unintended implications of this attitude being applied in general. For one thing, it is easy to read this between the lines as saying that the currently less-active members of the staff are not fulfilling their 'duty', and therefore are less deserving of their 'title'. It also places a high burden on what are really just a few extra technical abilities given to people who have either passed a written test (for CR) or have shown that they could probably use some extra tools, would use them if they had them, and have the maturity and experience to use them well (for sysops). I think it is important to discourage the unwritten but probably real idea of the IMSLP staff as some kind of inaccessibly higher caste of user: every staff member (besides Feldmahler) started out as an ordinary contributor, gained some expertise from making some submissions and edits, and decided to use it to assist other users to manage the site. Anyone with an account can do this, and the eventual (and admittedly somewhat irregular) attachment of technical abilities to it is simply (a) a convenience so the user might contribute even more effectively, and (b) making it look official. Despite the increased privileges, pretty much all of these users have continued to contribute in the same spirit they had when they started (aside from the ones for whom 'real life' intervened too much for them to keep the same level of activity).
And then there may be the marc format?
Shh!!!! For the time being, I'd like to preserve the impression that my sanity is still intact. :)
NLewis
active poster

Post by NLewis »

Revision: "It's not just a title, it's a commitment to me"

:)
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Geez, guys, stop being so hard on yourselves . . .
bsteltz
Piupianissimo
regular poster

Post by Piupianissimo »

Thanks to all of you for your fast and very kind reactions!!!
And please, I agree to what steltz is writing here and I don't want to blame anybody.
You are all doing a great job for the site!!!!!!!
I've just wondered why we had many new scores each day but none of my scans. Sorry if I've been to rude asking for it!