Copyright Request: Mozart Clarinet Concerto "Urtext"

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

tilmaen
forum adept

Copyright Request: Mozart Clarinet Concerto "Urtext"

Post by tilmaen »

Hi,

i have the C.F. Peters Urtext version of the Mozart clarinet concerto in my hands. It says "Urtext" in bright red letters on the piano score. however it also says "Herausgegeben von Klaus Baumeister".
From what i understand there is no copyright on Urtext editions, but the imslp says they wont accept urtext editions less than 25 years old. My print has a copyright dated 1981, so that should be fine.

on the clarinet part, however it doesnt say anything about "urtext", however it's basically just an excerpt of the clarinet voice in the piano score - no difference in notation.

can anybody tell me whether i can upload it (high quality scans)?

It's E.P. 13096 (http://www.worldcat.org/title/konzert-f ... /474060312)
Rob Peters
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Copyright Request: Mozart Clarinet Concerto "Urtext"

Post by Rob Peters »

There IS copyright on Urtext editions, but in the EU it's limited to 25 years. So the IMSLP stance on this isn't arbitraty.

I'd say it's ok to upload it (if you're a EU resident - in other parts of the world these scores can still be non-PD), but don't quote me on that.
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

As far as I understand, this is a clarinet score with a piano reduction of the orchestral parts. I am not sure that the piano reduction can be considered as "urtext", so probably the "urtext" attribute is referred to the clarinet part only. The piano reduction might have to be considered as an original work, although derivative with respect to the orchestral setting. In such a case, this score might be subject to the copyright terms referred to Klaus Burmeister (born 1940, and supposedly alive).

Max
tilmaen
forum adept

Post by tilmaen »

the interesting thing is that "Urtext" is printed all over the piano score, but not on the clarinet part. I will go ahead and upload the clarinet part. Fortunately i'm a EU resident so i will be fine.
tilmaen
forum adept

Post by tilmaen »

http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/250110 is the link to the file (last on the "parts page"). it is still blocked, i guess until one of the mods has reviewd it. Hope the scan quality is good, put quite some effort in the outcome. Piano reduction is the same quality but i would prefer to upload it when the copyright situation is clearer.

greetings
tilmaen
tilmaen
forum adept

Post by tilmaen »

i did some more research. the Piano score itself says "urtext" (as mentioned).

in the review notes in the end (can't post them here, as they are surely copyrighted) it is stated that he (Burmeister) used André's (johann anton) publication, as well as "2 further editions" from Breitkopf&Härtel (plate no 59) as well as Sieber (Paris) (1552). He then explains that the Breitkopf and Sieber editions are similar (the whole piece is a reconstruction, mainly credited to André) and appear to be derived from the same work. Further more the Sieber version seems to be printed after Breitkopfs version, since it contains mistakes and errors Breitkopf made, plus several more that arent in there.

At least one historic edition with a piano part is known, which is definitely public domain: http://www.worldcat.org/title/concert-f ... ef_results
i would assume that Burmeister used a piano historic piano score as basis for his Urtext version.

One statement in the Review, however, is:
"The present edition for clarinet and piano is based on the score edition by the same editor (Edition Peters Nr. 9821a), whose full Review ...."
and :
"Actual mistakes (as far as the piano part was concerned) have just been corrected - i.e. those when the notation did not fit in with the harmony and when there was no equivalent position elsewhere."
question now is: the piano score is titled "Urtext". the subtitle says: "Nach den Erstdrucken Herausgegeben von Klaus Burmeister", as well as "Neu revidierte Ausgabe für Klarinette und Klavier".

Can we upload the piano score when it is obviously sold as an urtext score?
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

tilmaen wrote:Can we upload the piano score when it is obviously sold as an urtext score?
Yes, please do. Copyright reviewers will make their decision. I think that there is a fairly good probability that it will positively pass the copyright review process: the publisher himself apparently declares that it's an "urtext" edition, likely with reference to the version by André, just with some errors corrected (so, no original contents added at all).

Max
tilmaen
forum adept

Post by tilmaen »

alright, i'll add the cover to the scan so you can see the "urtext" printed on the piano score ^^ ;)