Paper on Sheet Music Copyright

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

timmy
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Paper on Sheet Music Copyright

Post by timmy »

Hi there, not completely related I know but I'm writing a dissertation on the ambiguities/ loopholes of copyright in Sheet Music and was wondering if anyone would be willing to fill me in a bit about how IMSLP works! I know that anyone can upload works which are then checked for copyright infringements- are these people specially trained or just extremely clever volunteers? Could there be an interim period where a work has been uploaded but not yet checked-and an unassuming person can download it? Or do the weblinks not go 'live' as it were until it has been checked?
Sorry for the bombardment with questions!
KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Paper on Sheet Music Copyright

Post by KGill »

timmy wrote:I know that anyone can upload works which are then checked for copyright infringements- are these people specially trained or just extremely clever volunteers?
I'm not sure which people you're talking about, but the people who upload files do not go through any vetting process whatsoever (literally anybody can participate at any time), while members of the copyright review team are required to pass a test to demonstrate their knowledge. Please see this page for more information (including a link to the test).
Could there be an interim period where a work has been uploaded but not yet checked-and an unassuming person can download it? Or do the weblinks not go 'live' as it were until it has been checked?
All files are blocked from public access by default when they are submitted. The only users with the ability to view them are the members of the copyright review team, who also all have the technical ability to approve them for general availability (or not, as the case may be).