Closure of IMSLP

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

juliel
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Closure of IMSLP

Post by juliel »

I am still in a state of shock having just discovered that imslp is out of operation - it has been the best thing on the internet that I found ever.
Living in China where there is a very restricted range of classical sheet music, it has been wonderful to download selected music.

Of course music printed out from the computer is no replacement for music books, and can be an aid to purchasing the right books not an obstruction. Earlier in the year I did indeed download some of Bartok's music - it helped me to choose an exam piece for piano. I then went on to buy that same music from Boosey & Hawkes online. UE have done themselves no favour by seeking to block this extremely wonderful site which in my view probably surpasses many subscription sites (I subscribe to virtualsheetmusic for example). The availability of music to many people has been sadly affected by such selfishness.

Anyway a huge thank you to all those who through tireless work have enabled people like myself to gain access to great music.