Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

tilmaen
forum adept

Schubert Octet D803 - Baerenreiter Urtext Edition

Post by tilmaen »

Hi folks!

i bought myself a copy of this piece because:
a) i looooove it
b) i recently heard a live rendition of said piece as it has never been played before. The Amaryllis Quartet played it with a couple of friends of mine in Munich. I think there has never been a rendition of the piece more perfect than what i heard that night. They recently also released a cd with a performance of the piece. ...

anyhow - to get to the point: There are 2 Versions of the octet. The differ in many little aspects, most notably in the last movement there is a version with 8th-notes, and one with triplet eights. needless to say the latter is harder to play but also a lot mor interesting.
I modified a couple of parts (the clarinet and violin part) to match a performance of the Berlin Philharmonic soloists (a recording with Karl Leister, however not even close to beeing as good as the one mentioned above). However the parts look kind of messy and that's why i never uploaded them to imslp.

now i have the Baerenreiter Urtext edition (c) 1969 (Edited by Arnold Feil) - http://www.worldcat.org/title/oktett-in ... ef_results - in my hands and was wondering whether i can upload this. U thought urtext has a 25year waiting period. however this says it's been "edited". i would love to share the sheet music with you guys in perfect quality (before i start marking the parts). however, if there is still copyright on the music i would not go through the hassle of scanning it.

thx in advance

greetz

(P.S. the recording: http://www.amazon.de/Schubert-Oktett-F- ... ert+oktett)
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Schubert Octet D803 - Baerenreiter Urtext Edition

Post by Carolus »

The Baerenreiter 1969 urtext should be OK as long as you make sure to omit the editor's preface or any other items which are original creations of the editor. Correcting errors and putting in things from public domain sources is not an original creation, though such 'sweat-of-the-brow' research is given a 25-year term in Germany. We likewise observe the 25-year rule here for such editions.
tilmaen
forum adept

Post by tilmaen »

perfect. i scanned the music at home, As soon as i have some spare time i will crop, convert to pdf and upload. the music will be copyright reviewed anyways. in any case: expect a clean and awesome scan (plus, the Clarinet in C parts are transcribed to B-Flat in this edition - i hope this doesnt qualify as "worthy enough" change to protect it from publishing)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Transposing something is not original in any way - especially since it can easily be done with any number of software packages automatically.
tilmaen
forum adept

Post by tilmaen »

i uploaded the music. forgot my passw. for the imslp site, thats why i used my 2nd acc. easiest2remember.
had to manually edit the parts page because for some reason the system indicated that 2 parts were already uploaded but they then linked to my previously uploaded version from the library (i probably used the same names for the pdf files).
Anyhow. if you'd like to take a look - i think the scan quality is pretty awesome! for some reason the files are still marked with . Copyright ist 1969, but the music being Urtext-Edition we should be fine.

greetz
tilmaen
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

The marking is "blocked", which all files are until they go through copyright review. If not many files have been uploaded on a given day, the review process is quick and can happen in a matter of hours, but if lots and lots got uploaded, it can take up to a day, longer if there are questions to resolve, but it looks like you took care of those in the previous posts, so it should be soon! (and thanks)
bsteltz