General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Recording Copyright

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I'm just curious... what are the copyright laws regarding recordings? When for example does a piece without a known author become PD, and when would a recording of... say Shostakovich become PD?

Within the next 50 years I suspect a lot of good recordings will become PD...

Oh, and we should host IMSLP here. J/K :p
neilthecellist
regular poster

Post by neilthecellist »

I thought you were a forum admin?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Yes?
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Just because ArticWind7 is an admin doesn't necessarily mean he knows every copyright law (and my mean that in a nice way).
Anyway, this issue was brought up some time ago:
viewtopic.php?t=42

According to Feldmahler, the copyright term under Canadian law for recordings is recording/performance+50 which means that every recording released before 1957 would be PD in Canada as of 1st January 2008.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Okay, thank you for that. :)

I didn't know what neilthecellist was suggesting. And anyway, since I am a forum admin and not a wiki admin suggests that I am not as adept at copyright as the wiki admins.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Hi ArticWind7. I really don't mean to offend you. Anyway, I would think even wiki admins would have some trouble memorizing or understanding all copyright laws right off their heads.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

You didn't offend me in any shape of form. Didn't come close.

I just thought that logically, those who deal with the actual copyright place should have either more accessibility to copyright manuals or have more knowledge than someone who deals with the community.

EDIT:
Anyway, I would think even wiki admins would have some trouble memorizing or understanding all copyright laws right off their heads.
I agree though.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

I personally think that there is a distinction between a wiki admin and a forum admin. Meaning that it might be better if these positions are different and held by two different people. Of course, a person that holds both positions will be most advantageous as well. The person not only has ample copyright knowledge when handling wikis but has good music knowledge in handling and answering questions popping in the forums. Just my thought.
Again ArticWind7, I am not suggesting or belittling your position as inferior to wiki admins like Feldmahler.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I know your not! Never thought you were!

Please, you don't need to apoligise! Both positions are different. We agree, there is a misunderstanding... somewhere I am not offended. I'm not even sure what you think I am offended with....

don't worry! :)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

As with this CD: http://www.rhapsody.com/dmitrishostakov ... thecentury

It was remastered in 2003, I assume that counts as copyrighted, but I want to make sure...
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

If it is remastered, is that analogous to reprinting a score that is already out of copyright? Since nothing is altered except maybe enhancing the sound quality, removing static etc., would it be hard for these digitally remastered recordings to claim copyright assuming that the original recording itself is already out of copyright (more than 50 years since first release)?
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Also on the subject, if the first performance+50 years law for music recordings is used in Canada, does that mean that I can rip and convert to mp3 music from classical CDs that were first performed or recorded 50 years or more ago, regardless of when the media is transferred to CD and whether or not there is a new copyright because of the music being "digitally remastered", and upload it onto the net?