General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Franz Schubert "Auf dem Strom" D.943

Post by horndude77 »

Does anyone know the source of the scan of this piece that was on IMSLP? I have the PDF and I'm wanting to submit a version of it to Mutopia so I need the publication information. Thanks.
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

It was from Lea Pocket Score No. 116 (New York), which was an unedited reprint of part of the Breitkopf & Hartel Critical Complete Edition. (Ed. Johannes Brahms & Eusebius Mandyczewski).

The pocket score has "1962" on the title page but as the actual score has not been edited or changed in any way, only the title page and table of contents would be copyright.

aldona
(just finished scanning another Kalmus study score, getting closer to having all of the complete Schubert-Lieder - just waiting with bated breath for IMSLP to start up again!
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Hi aldona, are the songs published by Lea Pocket Score (originally published by Breitkopf and Haertel) the same as the one Dover reprinted? I assumed it is the same because it was specified that the source of the Dover reprint was Breitkopf and Haertel.
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Yes, I believe that both are reprints of the Breitkopf + Hartel "Kritische Durchgesehene Gesammtausgabe" (help me out here folks, I'm not a native German speaker and I don't have the title before me as I write!)

It has a characteristic publication style, with the title layout

(title)
(extra info in German about instrumentation, voice etc)

von
FRANZ SCHUBERT

and on the left side is "Franz Schuberts Werke" - on the right is the volume number and piece number.

The Lea Scores have the plate number at the bottom (in the format F.S. XXX). The Kalmus scores leave out the plate number. I'm not sure about the Dover books - I have a couple at home but I'm writing this at work so I can't check right now.

To the moderators - see, I have been paying attention and learned something! :wink:

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Thank you, aldona, for the information. I'll take a look at my library to see if the Dover scores have the plate number on them.
samthegreat
regular poster

-

Post by samthegreat »

dude! I need all the Schubert lieder! let's do a rain dance for imslp's startup
aldona
active poster

Re: -

Post by aldona »

samthegreat wrote:dude! I need all the Schubert lieder! let's do a rain dance for imslp's startup
I know how you feel... the CD Sheet Music collection is a good place to start, but just not complete (they list 599 songs, I believe the actual total is closer to 700, and of course they don't have most of the alternate versions)....

I'm scanning as fast as I can! You keep that rain dance going!

Anyone out there with any other Kalmus or Lea reprints of other Schubert stuff, especially the rare stuff like operas, other stage works, part-songs, fragments, etc...you are encouraged to get scanning too! (or PM me and I'll buy it from you!) When IMSLP comes back online, let's make the Schubert page the most complete of all the composer pages.

Let's see every single D-number in that Deutsch catalog linked to a page!

(sorry - caffeine kicking in a bit too hard this morning - the men in white jackets will be along shortly to collect me and return me to my padded cell. :lol: )

aldona
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Hi aldona, can you please help to check if all these songs which are published as "59 Favorite Songs" by Dover publications (ISBN no. 0486248496) are already scanned or previously available in IMSLP:

http://web1.doverpublications.com/cgi-b ... 0486248496

My university library has this score so I am planning to scan any songs that are missing from IMSLP or not yet scanned.

Thank you.
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

As of today, I have just ordered the last couple of Kalmus mini-scores that were missing from my collection, so I can confidently say I have ALL of Schubert's songs in my possession.
(sorry about that!! :( didn't mean to beat you to it.)

If you had the old Peters edition I would say go right ahead and scan all of them anyway, then we would have two (probably equally respectable) PD editions.

But since Dover is a reprint of Breitkopf & Hartel, we would just be doubling up.

I'm trying to scan a few songs every day (or at least whenever I have a bit of time free).

Of the list given, the only ones I have not scanned yet are: D.498, D.499, D.649, D.300, D.741, D.752, D.743, D.737, D.771, D.772, D.774, D.794, D.775, D.776, D.799, D.800, D,828, D.827, D.853, D.851b, D.852, D.879.

See if you can look for any of the following Schubert works at your university library:

Any fragmentary or incomplete works
Choral works
Part-songs i.e. songs for small number of singers with piano
Operas and stage works (I have Adrast, Claudine von Villa Bella, Der Spiegelritter, and additions to Herold's "Die Zauberglockchen"). If you can find the Kalmus scores of "Alfonso & Estrella" or "Fierrabras" then I will bow down at your feet.

Aldona
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

I know the topic has changed, but thanks for answering my question aldona!
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

It's ok. I'm afraid my university library doesn't have all of those scores you listed, only works for solo keyboard like the complete piano sonatas.
By the way, since you have all Schubert's songs, is it accurate to say that he composed over 700 of them? But do you categorize his song cycles as one or many? For example, do you put "Die Schoene Muellerin" as one song [cycle] or 20 songs (in that song cycle collection)?
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Perhaps this will answer your question?
http://www.hyperion-records.com/details/44201.asp

-Lala-
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Wow! Indeed it does help. Thank you for the link. Aldona, If these are indeed the complete list of songs by Schubert, would it be a kind of checklist for you to see if you do indeed have all the scores of Schubert's songs?
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Ah... The Hyperion list! :wink:

This is the list I'm actually using to help me organize the Schubert-Lieder according to their correct D-numbers, versions etc.
(It becomes a real headache when there are 3-4 songs that share the same title, some with more than one version.)

I have the Hyperion complete recording set of Schubert's songs (37 CD's) and the booklets that come with the CD's are a valuable source of extra information like the dates of composition and publication, the author of the text, etc.

There is still argument about the exact number of songs, depending whether you count different versions and settings as separate songs or not. The estimates vary from <600 to >700. As far as I'm aware, they always count the songs in the song cycles individually (e.g. Winterreise = 24 songs).

But when I started listing songs that were recorded on Hyperion but were not featured on the CDSM collection of 599 songs, it didn't take me long to fill up a whole page.

Off to work now - hopefully will have more time to chat on the upcoming Australia Day long weekend. :D

Aldona
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

I agree with the method employed by Hyperion by counting the songs in the song cycles individually.