Typeset from unpublished

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

mikepo
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Typeset from unpublished

Post by mikepo »

I have typeset several unpublished manuscripts from the Syracuse University Library collection of papers by a composer who died in 1951. It appears that I cannot upload these until 2047. Is that correct?

Mike
Choralia
Site Admin

Re: Typeset from unpublished

Post by Choralia »

Works by this composer might be public domain in Canada if such works were "performed or delivered" at least once before copyright expired, i.e., before January 1st, 2002. Are there any information about performances, recordings, etc.?

Max
mikepo

Post by mikepo »

I released all of these on CD's prior to 2000, so I guess they're OK to post. Titles in Eastwood Lane Folio include Little Boys Sail Little Boats, Calm Lake and Quiet Lovers, Knee High to a Grasshopper, and Lady Jane Grey. I'll be posting the folio soon.

Mike
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Does Syracuse University provide online images of these works? Then the librarians can say something useful. :-)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

If you're referring here to Eastwood Lane, the date for unpublished material in the US and EU is 2022 (Life plus 70). 2049 is only for the US, and only for things first published between 1978 and the present (possibly 1978 and 2002). Things first published before 1978 are potentially protected for up to 95 years fron publication. As an American, Lane is not eligible for any GATT restoration so anything issued before 1964 not renewed is free as would be anything issued 1964-77 without a compliant notice. Everything is free in Canada as long as the work was performed, recorded, broadcast or otherwise delivered over 50 years ago - which is going to cover most things I would imagine. Welcome to the joys of US copyright. Head spinning yet?