General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

JosephP
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Edition for Scarlatti Keyboard Sonatas

Post by JosephP »

Yay IMSLP's back up!

I have a folder which looks like this, full of 500 Scarlatti sonatas and 45 supplemental sonatas:

And here's the beginning of the first file:

And the beginning of the first supplemental sonata file:

For submission to IMSLP, I need to check it's public domain, but I cannot figure out which edition this is - the only comparably complete edition I can find is the Ricordi, and I can't get a picture of a page from that to both see if they match visually and check the copyright date. Any help would be appreciated, because I think this would be a nice addition to the library.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Are there any numbers or letters at the bottom of the page?
JosephP

Post by JosephP »

Nought but page numbers.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I'll have to leave this up to someone else, sorry!
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

Actually, I recognize these. Assuming all of the files look like the sample you posted, they are the edition by Alessandro Longo that was published by G. Ricordi & C. in 1918 or thereabouts. As they are an early example of an Urtext edition, they are public domain worldwide. I can't remember right now if we have these or not at IMSLP. If they are not present in our Scarlatti section already, or even if they are and these are different scans, please feel free to upload them all.

We try to avoid duplicates of the identical file. It's OK to have different scans of the same edition, though.
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

Those examples don't look like Urtext. I've seen Longo editions of Scarlatti before, and they are full of dynamics and articulations (not to mention fingerings) that likely were not in the original sources, simply because the level of proliferation of them is not characteristic of 18th-century Baroque notation in general.

That being said, Kalmus, I believe, did reprint the Longo edition of Scarlatti many years ago.