General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

copyrighted
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

"Public domain" scores from the Bibliothèque nationale de France

Post by copyrighted »

Hello,
I wish to use commercialy some public domain score of Chopin's music present on imslp.
On the site of Bibliothèque nationale de France there are the same identical digital score. You can download them and use it as 'fair use' but for commercial purpose you must ask their permission and pay a fee.
What's the matter? Are they really in public domain and I can use them the way I want or they are not in public domain since I must ask perfmission and pay fees to the Bibliothèque nationale de France? Please help
coulonnus
active poster

Re: "Public domain" scores from the Bibliothèque nationale de France

Post by coulonnus »

You may perform the works with an entrance fee and sell your CDs with the works, but you may not sell reproductions of their reproduction. Their reproduction has the status of derivative work.
copyrighted

Post by copyrighted »

If I want to put a page of this score as cover of my CD or use it the entire score on a commercial video, why cannot do it since it is in the public domain?! :roll:
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

coulonnus wrote:Their reproduction has the status of derivative work.
At least in the United States this is definitely not so. A photographic reproduction of a work that is in the public domain is not protected under copyright. See: Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp.. Also, note the final paragraph of that article which implies that such images will not be granted copyright protection in either the U.K. or E.U.

If the score is in the public domain any exact photographic reproduction of it is as well.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

In the UK: http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/atyourdesk/per ... iskey.html
"If you wish to reproduce our images, you will need to obtain our permission."

https://www.bl.uk/help/how-can-i-use-the-images-i-order
"The Library will charge a fee for permission to reproduce our collections". And see their "fee schedule"!

I can't seem to find the Super magic copyright thread in our Journal. :-)
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

coulonnus wrote:In the UK: http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/atyourdesk/per ... iskey.html
"If you wish to reproduce our images, you will need to obtain our permission."

https://www.bl.uk/help/how-can-i-use-the-images-i-order
"The Library will charge a fee for permission to reproduce our collections". And see their "fee schedule"!

I can't seem to find the Super magic copyright thread in our Journal. :-)
Basically what that tells me is that library is imposing their own bogus copyright scheme on their materials (even if they don't say it is, they act like they own the rights in a way), even if materials are public domain! Its basically total restricted access across to board for every item in their library (almost, except for personal use).

I can see a benefit for their library to charge the fees, extra income for the library, which is fine, but would rather if they relied on solely donations or government funding for the library operations.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Note that in the first two copyright pages Gallica=BNF appends to each pdf you download, they invoke https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui_gener ... base_right for their copyright claim.

In the 90's, before this law existed, when I ordered a reproduction from BNF I had to check their box "for my personal use only".
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Libraries using database rights seems to me to be just a questionable means for them to claim ownership of images of works in the public domain. I'm glad to see that the U.S. (surprisingly) doesn't honor such attempts to circumvent copyright law.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Then what to reply to copyrighted, assuming he lives in the US?
copyrighted

Post by copyrighted »

... so, in the middle of this mess I still don't know if I can use freely Chopin's scanned editions from Gallica or they are "fake" public domain ... :evil:
copyrighted

Post by copyrighted »

coulonnus wrote:Then what to reply to copyrighted, assuming he lives in the US?
I live in the E.U. :D
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

copyrighted wrote:... so, in the middle of this mess I still don't know if I can use freely Chopin's scanned editions from Gallica or they are "fake" public domain ... :evil:
As long as their are no contributors like editors or arrangers who are under copyright that you would need to obtain permission for if they died too recently (life + 50). The scores on BNF mostly are in the Public Domain everywhere from what I have seen but I am sure not everything is on their is totally fair game so you have to be careful.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

If the images in question are from 19th century editions of works by Chopin there are probably scores of libraries in Europe that have those same editions available--many probably online. If you're not comfortable using BNF's image check the German and Polish libraries found on this page. Furthermore, unless the image is stamped with BNF's logo how can BNF prove that the image that copyrighted uses for his cd cover/booklet (probably in a much lower resolution than the original image) of a widely available 19th century edition in the public domain is the image taken from the BNF copy?
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

@copyrighted: http://imslp.org/wiki/Fantaisie,_Op.49_ ... %C3%A9ric) Schlesinger, Plate 3489 is in my collection (except the cover). I can rescan it in colors for your CD or video, if it helps. Which resolution do you need?
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

If you download the 400-dpi images directly with a series of links like http://gallica.bnf.fr//iiif/ark:/12148/ ... native.jpg you don't see the copyright notices.

Search "gallica.bnf.fr//iiif/ark" with Google and you will find quite a few pages recommending this method, e.g. "Récupérer de la HD sur Gallica"