Choosing a license (HELP!!)

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

boreifs
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Choosing a license (HELP!!)

Post by boreifs »

It is not obvious how to do this. Can someone give me instructions? On the submission page, the only two options are "required" or public domain; the pull down menu location, at least for me, is a total mystery.
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Choosing a license (HELP!!)

Post by Sallen112 »

What kind of file are you uploading? A Scan that is in the public domain or is it one of your own works that is a Scan? Is it a typeset?
bicinium
active poster

Re: Choosing a license (HELP!!)

Post by bicinium »

Assuming this is about the trombone arrangements...

You probably selected "Add Scan", but that option is for scans of existing editions (which have to be public domain to be allowed on the site, hence that being the only option). What you would normally do is select "New arrangement" and then select one of the Creative Commons licenses, depending on how many rights you feel comfortable waiving. You therefore publish the arrangement on IMSLP under the license that you chose.

But what if this is an existing arrangement with a prior publication? I guess you'd still use the New Arrangement option, but set the year to when you first published it (and publish can mean as little as sharing it online). If you're trying to upload a scan of a professional edition, though, be careful not to infringe on any copyright which the engraver might have.