CD sheet music

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

mel
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

removing the logos or not ?

Post by mel »

Why is it not necessary to remove the Logos and Trademarks from the "CD Sheet Music" ?

Isn't the "CD Sheet Music" logo a trademark or such?

Quoting: http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Verifying_copyright_status
While the content of the scores produced by these three concerns is public domain, any added original material such as prefaces is protected by copyright. Also, the corporate logos of such companies are protected by trademark law
Mel.
carmar1791
active poster

Post by carmar1791 »

You must remove! ....at least in Italy
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

It is absolutely necessary to remove the logos from the music - as is explained in your quote. Did you find a score with logos? If so, it must be fixed or deleted as soon as possible.

Edit: Was the confusion about the phrase: "protected by trademark law"? This means protected for the companies in that it cannot be reprinted, not protected fr the public.
mel

Post by mel »

yes, I found one with the CD sheet music logo.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Sixty_Studies_for ... rt,_Franz)

Who can delete it ?
Mel.
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

I see it has been deleted - can whoever uploaded it be notified so they can re-upload after removing logos.

Better yet, since I'm sure many people don't have the time/software/knowledge to remove the logos, could there be a locked collection of pieces that still have logos on IMSLP where administrators or whatever could remove them. I realize a lot of admins probably don't have time either, but still. It seems a shame to lose scores because of that sort of thing - like CDSM wants us to.
mel

Post by mel »

Oooops.

No it hasn't been deleted ... I made a mistake, leave it.

I downloaded the file and then looked at the wrong PDF on my computer :P

Sorry about that

mel
Mel.
carmar1791
active poster

Post by carmar1791 »

I know some files on imslp have some logos not delete(Files I uploaded).Fortunately these logos are hidden ,you can see it by some hacks...
But sistem to replace them is out untill.......??????

Greetings

Carmar
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

Oops, I didn't follow the whole link. It's so annoying when the forum link-finder cuts off part of the link.
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

Update: I've contacted the US copyright office, who backs us up that the OMCDL and CDSM scores can be duplicated. We all knew it was right, but I personally feel a bit better with the support of the government. Take that, copyfraud!
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

ras1 wrote:Update: I've contacted the US copyright office, who backs us up that the OMCDL and CDSM scores can be duplicated. We all knew it was right, but I personally feel a bit better with the support of the government. Take that, copyfraud!
What is OMCDL?
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

Orchestral Musician's CD-ROM Library, owned by CDSM. They sell orchestral parts for all insturments on CD. I'm not sure anyone but me uses that abbreviation.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

That's really good news, ras1. It's actually very unusual for the copyright office to come out and make a statement like that. They are typically very non-committal about issuing advice on the status of any particular item.

This means the Bridgeman v. Corel decision has even longer legs (legally) than I thought. The only thing their scans are protected by is the presence of their trademark on every page. The trademark cannot be reproduced, but all of the scanned music can be.
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

I'm pretty sure this has come up in the past, but how do you determine the publisher of piece included on these CD's (especially the orchestra musician's library)? Are there catalogs (or something) to look these up in?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

It's not easy, and there aren't any guides to the specific task at hand. Here's my educated guess as to what they've done (OMCDL).

1. Obtained copies of the Kalmus or Lucks reprints of titles for about 99% of what they offer. (This is very logical on their part. Kalmus has already done the copyright research, after all. Also note that the OMCDL files are all 10 x 13 pages. 10 x 13 is Kalmus' standard size for their regular orchestra series. Lucks uses this size as well. Breitkopf and other European publishers use a different size - approx. 9.5 x 12.25.)

2. Scanned this collection of parts at 300 dpi monochrome, deleting all titles and page numbers. (Kalmus and Lucks, while careful to get rid of all plate numbers and other obvious publisher info on items they reprint, seldom bother to mess with the titles and almost never add new page numbers - especially on orchestral parts where layout is critical for page turns.) Those original titles and page numbers are often a great help in publisher identification, BTW.

3. OMCDL then add in new titles, page numbers, headers (repeating the title at the top of every page), and the trademarked logo.

The Kalmus catalog is about 35-40 percent made of of reprints from the Breitkopf und Härtel Orchester-Bibliothek. This is especially true of the major core repertoire (Beethoven, Bach, Brahms, Mozart, Mendelssohn, Schumann, etc.). Other composers, like Debussy and Ravel, are easy to guess because they were only issued by one publisher (usually Durand in their cases) who has been reprinted by Kalmus, Lucks, Dover, etc.
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

A few small things:

1) According to my pdf viewer, all of the scores are on 9x12 inch pages, not 10x13.

2) I don't think the page numbers in the scores were added by OMCDL. They do print their own titles and put that annoying logo on every page, but I'm fairly sure the page numbers were already there, especially since the logo placement has occasionally interfered with the page number (in which case I've added my own).