Steve Martin
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Public domain piano pieces re published

Post by Steve Martin »

Hello,

I have made my own melody based on a public domain piece of music by
e Beyer. https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Beyer,_Ferdinand The piano piece I have based my melody on is a piece of music from his piano learning book which is PD https://imslp.org/wiki/Vorschule_im_Kla ... Ferdinand)

However, what happened is I learnt the piece years ago, from a modern publisher. I didn't photocopy the book, I purchased it. However, I simply took the melody from Beyers piece of music that was in the book, and "turned" it into my own.

Have I broken copyright in anyway? I don't believe I have, as the publisher would not be able to claim ownership of the material, but I would just like ot check.

thanks if someone can help me out here.

best,

Steve.

post script - I've actually just checked with AMCOS Australia, and there is no problem with copyright. So I just thought I would share that. Thanks, Steve.
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Public domain piano pieces re published

Post by Sallen112 »

If the melody you took is already in the public domain in Canada, USA and the EU, your fine. Your own theme you created is your own copyright now. If you put your piece on here, your giving your own permission to have the piece on here.
Steve Martin
regular poster

Post by Steve Martin »

Hi Sallen,

thank you for confirming that for me.

best,

Steve :-)
Backfire_22

Post by Backfire_22 »

Thanks for the explanation! I'm still new to music making and was quite confused by copyright laws, this forum helps me a lot... And it means I'll soon be able to publish my own music!