Clementi, Symphony no. 2

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Jwhill
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Clementi, Symphony no. 2

Post by Jwhill »

I created and uploaded my own entirely new and original reconstruction and edition of Muzio Clementi, Symphony no. 2 (1822). Someone tagged it as "Non-PD US." This is incorrect. There is no conflicting copyright. Please correct this error.
cypressdome
active poster

Re: Clementi, Symphony no. 2

Post by cypressdome »

I did not originally review these files for copyright clearance but it appears that the issue had to do with the fact that an edition of that symphony by Alfredo Casella was published in 1936. It was registered for U.S. copyright protection. According to my understanding of U.S. copyright law had that publication's copyright been renewed by 1964 not just the edition but also the work itself (Mahler's Piano Quartet is a similar case) would be protected for the 95 year term of copyright protection. Fortunately, I have been unable to find a renewal of Casella's edition (for either the D major or C major symphonies) and so the copyright protection expired in 1964. I've updated the copyright tags on your submission to show that there is no copyright restriction for the U.S.
Backfire_22

Re: Clementi, Symphony no. 2

Post by Backfire_22 »

Good to know it's in the public domain! Then I'll have no qualms downloading it.. I remember having a physical copy of it a couple years ago but I lost it, and now that I'm working much more than what I'm used to (as I'm supposed to write a market analyis around these Koh Samui property prices after the usual work day...), I found out that classical music in the background allows me to keep focused after the 8th or 9th working hour.