New contributor questions

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

earlykbd_c
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

New contributor questions

Post by earlykbd_c »

I am completing a project that I would like to contribute to IMSLP and I have some questions. I am typesetting the harpsichord pieces of J.-H. Fiocco (died 1741) from a facsimile of the original I found on IMSLP.

1. The pieces themselves are obviously in public domain. I have written an introduction discussing performance issues etc. I'd like to keep some control over that -- can a cc license be applied to the front matter while the rest is PD?

2. When doing the typesetting, I used the clefs found in the original (soprano, alto, and tenor, i.e., C clefs). Then I made a separate version using only G and F clefs. Most keyboardists will want the latter, but some serious early-music folks can (and like to) play from a version as close to the original as possible. Is it possible to contribute both versions? They would have to be clearly identified, of course; right now I'm labeling them "modern clefs edition" and "original clefs edition."

3. I see on IMSLP links for people who wish to purchase a copy rather than print out a PDF. Some of my other books are on a self-publishing site called Lulu.com. Is it possible and appropriate for me to set up the Fiocco book on Lulu and get it linked for those who want to buy a copy? (I am of course entirely willing for IMSLP users to print the PDF themselves if they wish.)

Thanks - David
Sallen112
active poster

Re: New contributor questions

Post by Sallen112 »

1. Whenever your uploading a typeset on here, its always going to be under copyright unless you want it dedicated to the public domain, we have a option for that.

2. There is nothing wrong with uploading various editions...

3. You can print out copies on here (thats the reason why we are a free public domain website (well most of the site is)). Now providing links to buy a copy on a website is usually frowned upon since you MUST upload the full work on IMSLP (if your only uploading a version with watermarks or samples for example, that is NOT ALLOWED) but you can provide the link but be mindful of this please! You CANNOT entice people to go to your website to obtain a full copy of the work, where on IMSLP, you MUST provide the entire work without strings attached.
earlykbd_c

Post by earlykbd_c »

Thank you for the response.

1. Right now the copyright page says "The harpsichord pieces are in public domain. Front matter copyright (c) 2020 by David J. Perry." Is that correct / appropriate?

2. OK, no problem here.

3. It has always been my intention to upload a complete, non-watermarked PDF. I have obtained a number of scores from IMSLP and would like to give something back. As I said, I have no problem with people printing the PDF themselves if they wish. As I think about the scores I have looked at on IMSLP, my recollection is that many (I'd say the majority, but I haven't kept exact count) of them had links to buy a copy, so I am surprised to hear that this is frowned upon. Maybe I've just happened to look at scores that can be purchased. Is my memory wrong about this?
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

The reason its wrong to entice people to go and buy the full score of the work (which yes I get if you want to support the composer its fine) but its because it goes against the idea and philosophy of what IMSLP is all about, which is the free and full open access to all works. And also were not a place to market your works, you have to do that somewhere else. Restricting them in some shape or form or cutting out a piece or movement is not allowed. We have had problems with this not too recently.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

earlykbd_c wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:25 pm 3. I see on IMSLP links for people who wish to purchase a copy rather than print out a PDF. Some of my other books are on a self-publishing site called Lulu.com. Is it possible and appropriate for me to set up the Fiocco book on Lulu and get it linked for those who want to buy a copy? (I am of course entirely willing for IMSLP users to print the PDF themselves if they wish.)
Some PD-worldwide scores have links to Printed copy of this file, US or UK, e.g. https://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Sonata_in_ ... rel_Anton). Perhaps imslp could offer to expand this to CC-licensed scores if the editor wishes.