General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Ron Oliver
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Igor Stravinsky - Pour Pablo Picasso

Post by Ron Oliver »

Hi.

I have a picture of a handwritten score of Stravinsky's Pour Pablo Picasso (1917), a 30-second piece for solo clarinet with very little background. To the best of my knowledge, it has never been published (I've tried to look for it, but I'm probably not very good at it). However, it has surely been performed and recorded.

My question is: based on the picture that I have (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqyFj0fBSBo), would it be against the law for me to use any scorewriter to copy it and upload it here? If you could point me towards the specific copyright legislation on authorship and publishing, that would probably help me with this.

Thanks very much!
Sallen112
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Igor Stravinsky - Pour Pablo Picasso

Post by Sallen112 »

There is nothing against scorewriting it if you can find out if you can prove if it was first published before 1925 (it would have to be PD-USA) in order for us to accept such an upload and you would need to have the sources to back it up. You can try to search through the links here to see if you can find when it was first published. If you cannot find anything there, then you might be in the clear and you could upload it online here under the USA server.

You should submit a request in the PD-USA only request forum on here to open up a case for us to unlock the page for you for a short time once you have found such evidence.