Can I use a typeset licensed under CC 4.0 as the basis for another edition?

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Benjamin Shute
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Can I use a typeset licensed under CC 4.0 as the basis for another edition?

Post by Benjamin Shute »

I'd like to make a new edition of the violin sonatas of Joseph Bologne, because there is only one historical edition (1781), and it is so fraught with errors that it isn't suitable to perform from (which is, I think, why the sonatas are almost never played, which is most unfortunate.) There is a 2014 typeset on IMSLP by Tim Willis that exactly reproduces the first edition, albeit in more readable format. It is licensed under the Creative Commons 4.0 license. I was wondering whether that license would give me permission to use his typeset as a starting point, modifying it with a PDF editor to correct what are certainly errors in the original edition. (Since I don't have access to notation software myself, this is the only way I could make a new edition).

Is that something that would be permissible as long as I acknowledge that my edition (which I would license under Creative Commons 4.0 as well) uses Tim Willis' typeset as its base? It appears so from what I can gather of the license, but I just wanted to check to be sure before I do anything. Thanks!
Choralia
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Can I use a typeset licensed under CC 4.0 as the basis for another edition?

Post by Choralia »

Tim Willis' typesets have been kindly released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 license policy, so you can use them as a starting point provided that you duly credit Tim Willis and your purpose is non-commercial.

Max