Arthur Jackson has incorrect years affecting copyright

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Mazin
regular poster

Arthur Jackson has incorrect years affecting copyright

Post by Mazin »

I was looking at this score: https://imslp.org/wiki/Idle_Dreams_(Gershwin,_George) which is listed PD USA-only. That may or may not be true, because the reason seems to be the lyricist, Arthur Jackson. The page lists him as living from 1911 to 1977, which implies that he was 9 years old when he collaborated with Gershwin to write the lyrics for his musical. This erroneous info probably comes from this other Arthur Jackson: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peg_Leg_Sam

Unfortunately I couldn't find info on when the Arthur Jackson of Broadway lived. Anyone better than me at searching able to establish when Arthur Jackson died? That could change the copyright status of this score.
Mazin
regular poster

Re: Arthur Jackson has incorrect years affecting copyright

Post by Mazin »

Someone that I reached out to managed to find out that Arthur Jackson died in 1922. If he was the only person keeping that work from being PD globally, then maybe we can change its copyright status.
Sallen112
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Sallen112 »

Hmm you got a link to verify the incorrect death date (and birth date)? That does look very suspicious since the file uploaded there was published in 1920, extremely doubt a kid could have written such text. That we would need, not off of a word of mouth.
Mazin
regular poster

Post by Mazin »

Attached is a newspaper article from 1922 about his death. Other records databases might have more info about his life.
Attachments
Selection_001.png
Selection_001.png (739.35 KiB) Viewed 7938 times