Creating books and book-authors -- how to do this?

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Creating books and book-authors -- how to do this?

Post by Lyle Neff »

I just uploaded a Russian text for Wagner's Ring.

Before doing that, I created a work page for "Der Ring des Nibelungen (libretto)" under Wagner's category page, and created also a "composer" page for the translator (Tyumenev, Il'ya Fyodorovich).

Despite my efforts, the translation does not show up on Tyumenev's category page. I tried to force a link to Tyumenev but it doesn't work.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

You could move the page (presently in Wagner) to Tyumenev, then copy the whole file entry and paste onto each of the workpages for the four operas. Alternately, you could create a new workpage for the Ring libretto and paste the file entry onto it.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

I did create a separate work-page for the "Ring" libretto (as I wrote above).

It wouldn't make sense to move the file page for the complete "Ring" libretto to Tyumenev, because that page could hold other versions of the libretto.

I still don't understand what to do.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Unfortunately what you want to do is not what the IMSLP design allows you to do, pretty much. A work page is in the composer category based on the composer name in the title, and not anything else.

Is there a particular reason why you would want the libretto to be assigned to the librettist's page, rather than the composer's (i.e. did the librettist write many librettos for operas)? What you are trying to do would work nicely in the new in-planning IMSLP/IMDBP system (allows for multiple authors, even tiered authors), but not well at all in the current system.

The best approximation I can think of is just adding the librettist category to the misc. comments section, but that will have to be removed once we transition to the new system.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

I wanted the libretto to be under the librettist (Wagner), which worked, of course. But there needed to be a way of linking the libretto work-page to the translator (that is, for each file representing a translation of the libretto).

Anyway, imslp, I ended up doing very thing that you metioned: putting the category for the librettist in the "Misc. Notes" space. I had originally tried to put it in the "Editor" space, but the link wouldn't work.

The only thing is, though, is that on the Category:Books page, "Der Ring des Nibelung (libretto)" is alphabetized under "D" instead of "R".
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Silly me, I misread translator for librettist. And I should know that Wagner always wrote the libretto for his own operas ;)

Regarding sorting, it is because the category include did not specify the sort key. You can manually add the sort key (for example: [[:Category:Books|Ring des Nibelung (libretto), Der]]).