FEATURE: Off-site storage of images?

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

ras1 wrote:I think part of the idea might be that we could put scores that need to have logos removed there. So, not all the materials would necessarily be PD.
That's a good idea. Such files could go into a special folder with restricted access rights.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

That's exactly what I was thinking of. I own a substantial collection of such items - all of which could be uploaded to such an area for "processing" by those who had the software to automatically deal with the very large numbers of pages extracted. (I'm talking about many tends of thousands of pages here.)
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

I guess my main concern, Leonard, is that the raw image files not be corruptible. It's theoretically possible, for instance, that a vandal might upload blank or fake PDF file to replace an existing approved PDF on IMLSP. (But maybe replaced files are checked for copyright anyway, in which case a fraudulent upload would be noticed.)

In any case, it would be good to set these raw image files as "read-only," unless someone comes up with a better raw scan of the same edition of something, and those images could replace the older ones.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Oh, I agree that existing files will need to be protected against unwanted modifications. The only thing I didn't agree with was the idea that download should be restricted without a compelling reason (like e.g. trademark issues).
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Actually what you guys are suggesting seems easy enough to do... question is who do I give access to the archive.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

In the long run, it might make sense to integrate this into the regular submission/copyright review process. Files that require additional editing could be put into a queue after review, while from files that don't require any editing PDFs could be generated automatically on the server. We could also mark files which are usable but would benefit from further editing (removal of black borders, etc.). Just some wild thoughts... By the way, why was there opposition to NMA-style on-demand PDFs? Seems like an interesting idea...
Vivaldi
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Vivaldi »

Imslp, should the archive be solely accessed by the administrators, copyright reviewers and the uploaders/submitters only? You can give a password so that the submitter can only access or edit the files he submitted, while the reviewers can be given a master password that gives access to all the files in the archive.