[BUG] Automatic detection of replacement files not working?

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

[BUG] Automatic detection of replacement files not working?

Post by Lyle Neff »

Today I uploaded a replacement PDF for one of the files on the "King Lear" page for Balakirev. It was Balakirev_Lear_Contents&Colophon_fs_1969.pdf.

I was using the "Upload file" page, but didn't get the usual warning about a file of that name already existing.

Later today I looked up on "File list" and saw that now there are two files, one with the above name, and another with the prefix "PMLP08740-". So I chose the latter and did "upload a new version of this file." That seemed to have worked. (And the file listed above would appear to be a dangling duplicate that could be deleted, I guess.)

(I took the hint and used the same method to upload a new scan of the 1st movement of Borodin's 1st Symphony.)

Is the old warning for duplicates when using "upload file" broken?
homerdundas
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by homerdundas »

Also problem replacing... Am I missing something?
I uploaded the wrong version of a file. If I try to upload again I get the message:
Warning

1 files you are trying to submit has already been submitted before, and the old IMSLP catalogue number for the file is used. If this is not intentional, please go to corresponding image pages to find out which pages already link to the file. If there aren't any, please contact an admin here. The other 0 files have been submitted successfully.
I don't understand why it doesn't replace, and I don't understand the error message!

I now have two identical file templates appearing on the work page.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Sonata_in_B-flat% ... p_Emanuel)

Has anyone made a written procedure to replace existing files? How about add again, and flag old one for deletion?
homerdundas
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Procedure to update a file

Post by homerdundas »

Ok, I finally managed to do it. Here are instructions for anyone who wants to replace a file.

Glossary:
Image File - Any file on IMSLP. Usually a pdf of a score. Could also be a thumbnail or preview file.

Instructions:
1. Go to work page needing the updated file.
2. Locate the blue bar with the score e.g.
Complete score _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ PDF file, Scanned by Musicbox2000
*IMSLP #23900 - 0.54MB - 6 pages - Scan Quality: No ratings yet - U/U/U _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Uploader: Musicbox2000 (5 November 2008)
3. Click on the small file index number link - IMSLP #23000 - this will take you the the Image file page.
4. Click on the link Upload a new version of this file. You will be prompted for the new file to upload.

Good Luck,
(a better educated homerdundas).
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

You're officially in the ranks of the IMSLP priesthood, homerdundas!