Is the site-ripping script too strict???

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

reinhold
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Is the site-ripping script too strict???

Post by reinhold »

Since I'm a lilypond developer, quite often I need to search for particular uses of music notation. So, I open several pieces of a composer in separate tabs (the "disclaimer" pages, opening new ones already while old ones load, to save time), and then quickly go through all tabs clicking on the "I accept" link (which means I don't have to move my mouse, so it's way faster).

Now, the problem is, that while trying to research which type of brevis is more common (like a whole note, but (a) with one vertical line on each side, or (b) two vertical lines on each side or (c) the rectangular neomensural ones from gregorian chant), this exact procedure seems to have triggered the site ripping script...

"You have reached this message because the site ripping ban script has been triggered. Site ripping is forbidden; repeated offenders will be banned indefinitely."

This means that I cannot go to *any* IMSLP page any more. Unfortunately, this also means that I don't have any arguments with the other developers, since I'd like to have (b) as the default...

Isn't this a way too tight if the script can be triggered manually? I particular, I wasn't downloading dozens of huge scores, but rather opened I think 8 tabs and on each of them tried downloading one single-page score. The third score or so already gave me the ban message.

And the advice to come back in a day is a joke, isn't it??? I mean, I would have some time tonight to do some development (one of the few evenings away from my girlfriend...), but without real-life arguments, I can't convince others. And I can't upload the scans of Eybler's Fremit mare, and I'm also supposed to search some pieces for tomorrows singing lessons...

It would be great if someone else could send me some links to scans showing breves as mentioned above (In particular, can you find any score with a breve as shown in the "default" style in http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/ajax/use ... ead-styles.

Cheers,
Reinhold
reinhold
forum adept
notabot: YES

Re: Is the site-ripping script too strict???

Post by reinhold »

Oh, and one more thing I intended to do tonight on IMSLP: I know I have seen some "Vide" signs (indicating optional cuts in long pieces) like the ones in the pdf attached to the following message:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilyp ... 00928.html

Since I can't search on IMSLP myself, do you know of any appearance of these symbols in printed music?

Thanks a lot,
Reinhold
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

The first ban only lasts for 1 hour, but that goes up exponentially.

I hate the DoS banning script too. In fact, I tried getting rid of it a few weeks ago; the server ended up crashing due to overload. There are many people who are actually trying to rip the entire site, a task I think extremely foolish and misguided.

I can make an exception for file downloads, but I cannot promise any specific date it will be fixed. Also, it is probably a good idea to download one file first, so that you do not get the disclaimer page for the other files. Disclaimer page + file download = 2 pages, while file download itself is only counted as 1. Plus you don't need to actually click through the tabs.

Btw, If you leave a few seconds between downloads, you will never ever get banned by the script.
arkiados
notabot: 42

Post by arkiados »

NLewis
active poster
notabot2: Human

Post by NLewis »

My internet connection is finally fast again, so I decided to go on an "edit streak" tonight. I ran into the site ripping ban, so I'll be back at 1 AM to continue working (1 hour).

Any way administrators can be exempt from site ripping ban? I know that bureaucrats are, and it's really annoying to have to wait an hour. I promise that I'm not trying to rip the site :)
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

NLewis wrote:I know that bureaucrats are...
Unless there are technical features beyond what is listed in Special:ListGroupRights, there is no difference between sysops and bureaucrats in this respect: both have noratelimit. If that doesn't work for you then presumably it wouldn't work for the 'crats either, though I haven't had a chance to test it out myself since I usually try to be very careful about setting it off when opening multiple pages. If a technical workaround is not practical (which it probably isn't, judging by how long this topic has sat around unresolved), I would advise simply remembering to leave a second or two in between the opening of each page, as Feldmahler indicated above.
NLewis
active poster

Post by NLewis »

If anyone is wondering why I suddenly stopped me edits... Oops :shock:
Mokeeffe

Post by Mokeeffe »

It is certainly too strict - I couldn't load up all the parts for 1 piece before it stopped me!