Audio Files (Performances)

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

homerdundas
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Audio Files (Performances)

Post by homerdundas »

It seems that the "Audio Files (Performances)" header is added to each new page - ahead of the headings for scores. This seems very cluttered :( . Perhaps we can only show this header if there are actually some audio files present. And can we add new audio files the same way we add scores perhaps? We then only need two maintenance options on the page. Say...

Add a score (or audio) file to this page
Add multiple score (or audio) files to this page

homerdundas.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Audio Files (Performances)

Post by KGill »

Maybe the audio header could simply be moved under that for scores? (Especially since, after all, scores are the main attraction here :) )
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

The submission process for recordings vs. scores is slightly different, hence the separate links. I know that putting the audio section on top would be counter-intuitive and increase clutter. However, it was actually a conscious decision because it draws attention to that section (essentially an ad), so that we can encourage people to submit performances. If we put the section below scores, much fewer people will see it or care about it. We already have a very robust score section, but in order to get the recording submissions to take off I believe we need to give it all we've got.

It is true that scores are the main attraction of IMSLP at the moment. But that's only "at the moment"... ;) I am actually fairly surprised at how hard it is to get decent quality free recordings of classical music on the net.
homerdundas
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by homerdundas »

Can we at least change the colour of the recordings - presently the same blue as the scores.
Robert.Allen
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Robert.Allen »

I am strongly opposed to the current practice of putting audio files for download at the top of the work pages. The primary objective of IMSLP is to provide downloadable copies of scores which are in the public domain. Putting donated audio files at the top of the work pages changes the site to an audio file equivalent of Flickr. These files should be listed in a section either above or below the section labeled "Commercial Recordings". Concerning user uploads to the site, our primary objective should remain to encourage donations of new and better scores, not performances.