Server problems?

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Davydov
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Server problems?

Post by Davydov »

The speed of the main site is so slow as to be unusable this Tuesday morning (UK time), with consistent 503 errors coming up, and pages taking several minutes to load. Is any maintenance going on, or is there a technical problem with the server?
Generoso
active poster

Re: Server problems?

Post by Generoso »

I had the same errors...pages not loading... taking a long time to load...Today also.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I made a mistake yesterday when uploading a new version of IMSLP which caused all of the traffic that was supposed to go to the mirror server end up at the main server, thus saturating the bandwidth. Should be back to normal now.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Speaking of, why is it that the site is going down several times a day for "maintenance"? This is happening far too frequently for a site like this and is making maintenance and additions extremely frustrating.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

That's actually the guise of the 500 error......I requested a page, and this seemed to be the best fit :)
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Perlnerd is correct. Unfortunately it seems that the elusive 500 error still cannot be solved. I will attempt to fix it again this summer.
Hobbypianist
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Hobbypianist »

Is currently a real maintenance going on or are the downtimes just getting longer and longer? I've been trying to connect to the Main Page for about 20 minutes now and always get the 503 error. About 2h ago there was also a downtime of more than 10 minutes. The solution of this error should have highest priority...
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

I haven't gotten anything that bad...remember that these are not actually maintenances...
Feld, you might want to reword a little. :)
Hobbypianist
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Hobbypianist »

perlnerd666 wrote:I haven't gotten anything that bad...remember that these are not actually maintenances...
Yes I know, it's just a calming message instead of the 500 error. Well, normally the downtime is short (more or less..) but this time it was so long that I wondered if it might be an actual mainten. If you haven't noticed anything, does this error depend on the location??
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

I think so. I remember something about mirror servers based on location; you're across the atlantic, so maybe there's something different operating :)