[BUG] Graupner

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

pierre.chepelov
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

[BUG] Graupner

Post by pierre.chepelov »

There is a mistake (made by ULB Darmstadt) in the file http://imslp.org/imglnks/usimg/0/0a/IMS ... 416-04.pdf: pages 35-72 are the same as in http://imslp.org/imglnks/usimg/3/3b/IMS ... 416-02.pdf, i.e. the parts (except the Violins) for Stein und Stahl, Licht und Strahl verschwinden, vergehen instead of those for Samlet euch, getreue Catten)
In addition, I think that pp. 71-72 of both files belong to another cantata (these are the two last pages of a Basso part, not belonging to the Basso part of Stein und Stahl, that ends on p.70.)
Boccacio, do you know how to let the Darmstadt librarians know about this problem?

---
Maybe we could we group Graupner's cantatas in a way like J.S. Bach's ones are? We are awaiting 1,442 cantatas...
And what about having a field providing manuscript references? Something like |RISM=D-Da Mus-Ms-416-04 for Samlet euch, getreue Catten.

Pierre
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Re: [BUG] Graupner

Post by vinteuil »

Umm...we are actually de-grouping Bach at the moment (P.Davydov and I)...
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
pierre.chepelov
active poster

perlnerd666 wrote:Umm...we are actually de-grouping Bach at the moment (P.Davydov and I)...
Ok, it's nicer. BUT, this makes huge alphabetical lists. What about a system like "Cantata 'Blab-bla-bla', XWV XX", to group the cantatas, like the sonatas or the concertos ? (I think some composers have their works here under "Motet: Bla-bla" or something similar.)

On Graupner: the ULB releases their scans under CC BY-NC-ND license. Here they are tagged as "Public Domain".
Is that fair enough, to consider the CC license as irrelevant?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

I'm not really qualified to talk Graupner, so I'll let the experts duke it out :)

There is no way to copyright the image of a public domain source; the scans themselves cannot be copyrighted. We ignore the BSB's ridiculous (and confusing) copyrigh page, and we ignore the licensing here. If they complain, then maybe we could consider a change.
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Davydov »

Every work needs its own individual page so that it can be uniquely identified by title, catalogue number, instrumentation, genre, etc. But you may have noticed that most prolific composers have separate page listing all their works by genre, opus/catalogue number, etc., and that's probably the best solution for Graupner as well.
pierre.chepelov
active poster

Yes, I noticed the intersections (especially on the J.S.B. page), but that was before the new system. Now it is incredibly powerful! But, for the common user it can be confusing. I needed one minute before understanding that I had to click on "list" after "add" and "rmv" - not on the genre on the left.
Is there a possibility to put directly on the composer pages, some shortcuts to the most popular "intersections" (like : "Cantatas")? Or to browse a list of all works except one genre (like : no cantatas!)?
On Graupner, there is a need to tag the dozens of cantatas already there - only one is on the list.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

I agree; the common user does find this confusing. How can we make it easier to use?
In fact, a lot of people have asked me how to find a work; it seems that our current search functions which, to me at least, seem very obvious and easy-to-use, are insufficiently clear to the common user. I don't know why or how or how to fix this, but this must be adressed.
pierre.chepelov
active poster

Re: [BUG] Graupner, [FEAT] Category walker

From the user point of view, things are different if you are browsing from the beginning, by genre or instrumentation, or from a composer page.
I think that in this later case (i.e. on a composer's category walker page), the reflex is to click on a category name when one wants to see the specific list of works (intersection composer / category name).
Maybe the first thing to do would be to put the link to the intersected list there (on the left of the page), and to put the general category list more on the right.
The second thing (IMHO) would be to have a more user-friendly layout, for the 'Actions', than [add|rmv etc. that looks too linux!
Coming from the composer's page, I don't understand why "restart" brings me out of my composer's works...
And also the explanation above the category walker could be easier to understand. Well, it is, but I know so many musicians who really can't understand one single, logical sentence written by a computer programmer...
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Davydov »

I've tweaked the wording at the top of the category walker, but I'd agree that there is scope for improvement. All suggestions welcome!
Boccaccio
forum adept

Post by Boccaccio »

Sorry for the late reply, but usually I never have a look into the forums....

Coming back to the original question of where to report bugs to the people in Darmstadt: When there where problems with their webpage recenty, I mailed to Mr. Roth-Steiner, rothst at ulb.tu-darmstadt.de, and he quickly replied and solved all problems. So I think it is a good idea to ask him about the bugs you discovered, even if he is not respinsoble for the content of the files he will know whom to address.