Forums login bug

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

imslp
Site Admin

Forums login bug

Post by imslp »

Apparently, I am able to login normally via imslp.eu but not imslpforums.org...
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Forums login bug

Post by vinteuil »

I'm not having that problem, at least.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Choralia
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Choralia »

This problem is related to the way phpBB3 handles the login cookies with respect to the way cookies are then handled by browsers.

phpBB3 cookies are currently labeled with reference to imslp.eu, as this was the only domain name available for these forums until a couple of days ago. Mozilla Firefox seems more selective when managing cookies: if a cookie is received and its labeling does not match with what it expects, the cookie doesn't work as normal and therefore the login condition cannot be maintained. I guess this is a security feature. Internet Explorer seems more "permissive" in this sense: it accepts cookies in these conditions, so login works correctly. Therefore, if you use Mozilla Firefox a login problem may occur, that is not present if you use Internet Explorer.

I'm not sure whether phpBB3 allows cookie settings that can be compatible with multiple domain names as well as with "selective" browsers like Mozilla Firefox. This is something I need to investigate. If this is not possible, we will have to choose which domain to favor (imslp.eu vs. imslpforums.org). As imslp.eu was originally intended for other purposes (the "European IMSLP project", that is something we will have to discuss sooner or later), I would recommend using imslpforums.org.

Max
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

Addendum: I've been able to login at imslpforums.org using Mozilla Firefox after having previously deleted all older cookies still referring to imslpforums.org. The procedure is the following (Mozilla Firefox 3.6.3):

- under Mozilla Firefox choose "tools", then "options", then select the tab named "Privacy";

- open "remove individual cookies", enter "imslp" in the search bar, and select all cookies referring to imslpforums.org;

- click the "remove cookie" button so that all selected cokies are deleted.

Max
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

I am on a Mac (using Safari) and when I open these forums through a link from an email (when someone responds to a post that I posted) I can not log in either!

But, if I am on one of the IMSLP pages (not the forums) and then click the link to these forums I am automatically logged in.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Removing cookies solved it. Thanks Choralia.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Hmmm I seem to have the same problem. I removed the .eu cookies, but the imslpforums.org address doesn't seem to want to generate any cookies at all.
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

Melodia wrote:I removed the .eu cookies, but the imslpforums.org address doesn't seem to want to generate any cookies at all.
You have to do the opposite: remove the imslpforums.org cookies, as the new forums use of the imslp.eu cookies.

Max
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Well, I can log in, but it won't remember me anymore. .eu remembers, though
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

I see that the link to imslp.eu that was present on each page of the wiki has been removed, so maybe it's time to optimize these forums for access via imslpforums.org rather than via imslp.eu. However, I'd like to get confirmation from Feldmahler before doing that.

Max
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

I received confirmation. BB cookie settings are now optimized for operations under the imslpforums.org domain.

Max