[BUG] DEFAULTSORT magic word inoperative

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

[BUG] DEFAULTSORT magic word inoperative

Post by pml »

The DEFAULTSORT magic word is no longer functioning as it should be – this appears on a number of pages in the format:

Code: Select all

{{DEFAULTSORT:sortkey}}
to override the default category sorting of a page according to its title – which may already be subject to alteration, as usually linguistic prepositions are ignored (A, The, Ein/Eine, Der/Die/Das, Un, Le/La/L’, etc.).

I noticed this when moving the first three Vaughan William symphonies (which are definitively named for their sobriquets; the numbers are merely a retrospectively-added convenience for librarians), and had observed earlier in the day that Strauss' Ein Heldenleben also had a DEFAULTSORT which when I checked was being ignored likewise (it should appear under H, but is sorting under E).

PML
--
PML (talk)
imslp
Site Admin

Re: [BUG] DEFAULTSORT magic word inoperative

Post by imslp »

Actually this behaviour is probably normal. The reason is this: the category links are actually not "unsorted" (hence DEFAULTSORT is inoperative), because there is an automatic sortkey given for all the category links (all titles with numbers have sortkeys that pad the number to 4 digits for consecutive sorting). At this moment there is no way to manually provide a sortkey in such a situation, but it is something I might add at an unspecified time.