[FEATURE] Managing Library Scans

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Hamstray
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

[FEATURE] Managing Library Scans

Post by Hamstray »

Since scanning old source material from Libraries often costs a larger bit of money which makes people hesitant to do so, it would be good to be some sort of system to facilitate finding people to combine resources.
It would be nice to have some sort of listing of locations of specific source material, and volunteers for the task.
People could acquire samples and figure out what it would cost to scan the whole work.
Maybe also with some sort of funding scheme where people can donate towards specific tasks.
Last edited by Choralia on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed non-pertinent link in signature
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: [FEATURE] Managing Library Scans

Post by KGill »

Well, there is a list of used sheet music stores (although it doesn't give their selection - that would unfortunately be pretty much impossible to maintain by anyone other than the individual stores themselves). Other than that, anyone who wants to do a general search to find out which libraries have which scores can use WorldCat. It seems like a lot (most?) of the people who do scanning for this site own their own scanners, so while that can be a fairly large cost, it's one that only has to be paid once.
Hamstray
regular poster

Post by Hamstray »

KGill wrote:It seems like a lot (most?) of the people who do scanning for this site own their own scanners, so while that can be a fairly large cost, it's one that only has to be paid once.
I don't mean scores which you can borrow from the library and take with you, but ones which you are not allowed to touch and need to have the library/museum scan for you, like from rare microforms or even from the real deal.
Last edited by Choralia on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed non-pertinent link in signature
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Ah, my mistake...maybe the ideal thing would be to try to convince those libraries to embark on digitization projects? I've often thought of writing to a couple near me which have a lot of rarities, some in fragile condition.