Meyerbeer operas won't download

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Starrmark
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Meyerbeer operas won't download

Post by Starrmark »

How come the vocal scores of Meyerbeer's Africaine, Prophete, Struense and Hugenots won't download? There is no TB on any of these 19th C. scores.

MS
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Meyerbeer operas won't download

Post by KGill »

Could you be slightly more specific? In what way won't they download? (Is there an error message [and if so, what is it], do they display nothing but blank pages, etc.)
Starrmark
active poster

Post by Starrmark »

I have no trouble downloading other scores on IMSLP -- including other scores by Meyerbeer. But downloads of the vocal scores for those four operas invariably hang up after only a few kb of downloading. This problem is sometimes the case when I try to download a newly posted score. However, the problem usually disappears in a day or so. But these Meyerbeer scores have been on IMSLP for at least a week. I don't see TB indications on any of them.

MS
Starrmark
active poster

Post by Starrmark »

More on the same problem -- but with a composer other than Meyerbeer. I just successfully downloaded Halevy's opera Noe. However, after many tries, I found it impossible to download Halevy's opera Charles VI. Again, the download hangs up almost immediately after just a few KB. The screen turns blank. I do not see a TB or a B on the score(s) for Charles VI.

MS
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Are you downloading to disk, or are you opening within your browser with a PDF plugin?
Starrmark
active poster

Post by Starrmark »

I'm using Adobe Reader 9 with IE8 under Windows 7 (64-bit) to download, saving the downloaded file to one of my hard disks. As noted earlier, I have no problems downloading other IMSLP files. I just tried once again to download Meyerbeer's Prophete. And once again, the download froze at 91.4 KB.

MS.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Works for me. Have you tried clearing your cookies and cache?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

This may be a longstanding IE bug (there is a page about it if you read the text at the top of the file rating submission page). Essentially, IE is horrible for downloading large files, and there is no way to fix it on IMSLP's side. Try using Firefox, Chrome or Opera (i.e. anything else).
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Agreed, in fact don't use IE for anything...EVER unless a website specifically needs it, and even then there are plugins or extensions for those browsers that allow you to render them using IE's engine from within another browser.
Starrmark
active poster

Post by Starrmark »

A mysterious solution. I tried downloading Meyerbeer's Prophete last night. When the downloading counter froze once again at 91 KB, I left my machine on and went to bed. This morning, lo and behold, Adobe Reader was open with Meyerbeer's Prophete inside. I have no idea how long it took to download during the night, or why it refused to download the pdf right away. But I was able to get my copy of the vocal score, so I'm happy.

MS