Range field

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Range field

Post by daphnis »

I think we could really do with a "Range" field for work submissions that could be used to list the vocal range for given pieces.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Range field

Post by pml »

A very good idea for where there’s only a single voice part and only a single transposition – but for works with multiple singers, sections, and transpositions, it might be a little clumsy (or better palmed off to the “Comments”, where such complexities can be better handled).

It might also be useful for documenting the extent of concerted solo parts, though this might be less needful for players.

PML
--
PML (talk)
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

True. I had thought of it also being useful on a per-file basis, but I was primarily thinking aloud to see if others might find this useful as well.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

I personally love editions that display the range at the beginning (mainly renaissance works).
There's no harm in providing such a field for optional use (provided that people know that it's only for single-singer single-transposition vocal works...on second thought, sounds a little convoluted)
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

For solo songs, the information for vocal range would have to be shown at the file level, so that different editions of the same piece in different transpositions can be accommodated.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)